AcetheticallyPleasing

Asexual || Dreamer || Hufflepuff
Hopeless romantic dreaming to find her true love
Songs || Stories || Poems
In love with two people, plus someone who can never be mine.

I've been wanting to address this for a while now. What do you guys think?

Another Opinion

4
Hey guys ^^
So, last year I made a piece of fourteen opinions I have that were considered unpopular. Then as my birthday passed, I posted a fifteenth. 
Well... A few days ago, my birthday came again. Sixteen! So here I am with another opinion of mine.

"Respecting your elders."

Let's look at the definition of respect.

re·spect
/rəˈspekt/
noun
  1. a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
I think it was LackingASocialLife who put this idea into a perspective that I've carried with me. There are two kinds of respect: respect as a person and respect as an authority. And oftentimes we get these mixed up. We're taught to respect others as people, and people older than us as authorities. And if we don't, we'll be punished. Many adults don't respect us as a person unless we respect them as an authority. There's a common saying that floats about that nearly everyone has heard- "Respect your elders." Now, this is often used in a time of supposed disrespect, like when you say something subjectively rude or you don't obey a command. 

I'm a girl who has lived by the Golden Rule my entire life. I try to be kind and considerate of everyone I come across. However, I don't live by this saying. I respect those who deserve it. I respect my parents for teaching me how to be a good person; I respect my teachers for showing me how big the world around me can be; I respect my favorite artists for helping me realize I'm not always as alone as I feel. But if I don't know someone, I'm not going to give them my respect just because they're older than me. I hate when I'm out in town and an older lady starts going off on me, then when I defend myself she fires that saying at me. Excuse you, ma'am, but how can you tell me to respect you when you're acting so rude to me? Do you think because you're a decade older I'm lawfully inclined to do whatever you say and hold my tongue? You are not the boss of me. You do not know anything about me. Your age versus mine does not give you the right to boss me around. If you want me to respect you, then respect me.

I'm not saying to be disrespectful to any adult who doesn't kowtow whenever they see you. Certainly, hold the door open for that mother of three. Listen when the lifeguard tells you not to run on deck. Answer politely when that man asks you something. Of course. But that's all it is. Politeness. Courtesy. That's not respect. Respect is something gained by one's character. You don't respect anyone you don't know. You're considerate of them and polite to them. And those are completely different things. Be polite to everyone, but don't respect anyone who doesn't deserve it. 

I totally agree! This was well-spoken. Also, the idea of respecting your elders no matter what often leads to child abuse.