Fd22aa4d 2798 48c8 87d1 e21418fff502

Corner Writing Club

"Feedback is the breakfast of champions."
-Frank A. Clark

Corner Writing Club is the perfect place for anyone looking for feedback and a chance to contribute to a writing society. Join by following our profile and filling out the form under the piece entitled "Rules and Form" (the second piece under our Published Work). This club is hosted by RainAndSonder and Paperbird; we publish updates every few days.
Some features this club offers are:
- games/challenges
- prompts
- contests
- featured pieces/writers
- and more!
We operate on a system of monthly reviewing partners. Members of our club are paired with new users every month to write a review of that person's work for every week of that time period.
Please ONLY follow Corner Writing Club if you would like to join this system.

CORNER WRITING CLUB'S HUGE COMPETITION!

22
Competition time is here again!  On our last announcement, we stated that we would open this contest as soon we reached one hundred members; however, as we unfollow our inactive members and accommodate for reviewing assignments, the milestone is getting further away.  This is in no way a complaint: we are glad of Corner Writing Club's manageable size and the small circle of writers we have created.
This means, however, that Corner Writing Club's promised huge contest is opening sooner rather than later.  The version that you are reading now is probably republished, because we want word to spread as much as possible.
If you are interested in becoming a CWC member, you can follow us and fill out the form here.  The competition is open to anybody, but we would prefer it if mostly members took part.

PROMPT
Base your piece around this image.  Use the prompt creatively!  Find a way to incorporate a horse wearing shoes, whether literally, metaphorically, symbolically, or in passing.  You can hint at the idea without actually stating it, too.
(If you're having difficulty accessing the image, please let us know in the comments).

WORD LIMIT
For short stories/narratives, 400-600 words
For poetry, 100-200 words

OPENS

FINAL DEADLINE
This should give you plenty of time to submit.  We understand the holidays may be busy, so we're continuing the contest through January and February.

TITLES
Use the hashtag #cwccompetition along with the title of your piece.
We will like each piece submitted, but we will not review or comment on it, to keep the suspense.

PRIZES
1st Place
  • A dedicated shout-out from the CWC profile
  • A feature in our "Message from Writer" for a month
  • 5 reviews on pieces of your choosing (incredibly detailed)
  • We will scroll through your Published Work and give likes and comments to 30 that we genuinely enjoyed (if you don't have enough Published Work, we will read through what is there)
2nd Place
  • A small shout-out from either RainAndSonder or Paperbird
  • 4 reviews on pieces of your choosing (incredibly detailed)
  • We will scroll through your Published Work and give likes to 20 that we genuinely enjoyed (if you don't have enough Published Work, we will read through what is there)
3rd Place
  • 3 reviews on pieces of your choosing (incredibly detailed)
  • We will scroll through your Published Work and give likes to 15 that we genuinely enjoyed (if you don't have enough Published Work, we will read through what is there)
4th Place
  • 2 reviews on pieces of your choosing (incredibly detailed)
  • We will scroll through your Published Work and give likes to 10 that we genuinely enjoyed (if you don't have enough Published Work, we will read through what is there)
5th Place
  • 1 review on the piece of your choosing (incredibly detailed)
  • We will scroll through your Published Work and give likes to 5 that we genuinely enjoyed (if you don't have enough Published Work, we will read through what is there)
Obviously those are lot of prizes, and we're going to need about a month to complete them all, so don't worry if your prizes aren't in right away.

EXTRA DETAILS
You may only have one submission.  If you want to change yours, please unpublish any past versions.

ADVICE FOR ENTERING
Creativity is key.  The prompt is strange, but if you find a way to tie it in to a greater story, you will find that you have the greatest chances at placing.  Make sure to keep your story or poem cohesive and well-written.

If you have any questions, or if we left anything out, please ask in the comments!

Happy writing!  Best of luck.

• December 9, 2018 - 9:37am (Now Viewing)

• Bo Bednar

1. That horse is wearing roller skates, not sneakers
    2. 600 words is not a short story
    3. Disregard my previous criticisms because this sounds fun and I want to participate!

• Ashleigh2403

ok

• Corner Writing Club

@Ashleigh Maybe it'd be easier if I describe what it is. It's basically a hoofed animal standing on some sort of grayish grass, wearing shoes. The image is adjusted so that you can only see the legs and feet. The animal looks like it's a horse, or possibly a cow.

• Ashleigh2403

is there another way I could access the picture? my computer wouldn't allow me to

• .audrey michelle.

aight.... im try to remember

• Lee Fudge

Understandable, sorry.

• Corner Writing Club

@Lee Fudge, Well, by definition you should stick to the word limit. You can hit a maximum of exactly 600 words.

• Christy Wisdom

I wrote one

• Early Pearl

Oooh yay I've been looking forward to the competition for a while now! :D I'm totally doing it!! :D

• Lee Fudge

By the way, and this probably a dumb question, but can I go over the word limit?

• Mary Wall

Ooh, sounds interesting. I'll try it, but I make no promises.:)

• Corner Writing Club

@Catherinely Me Definitely! You can choose to write about the picture however you interpret it.

• Catherinely Me

I looked at the image before I read that you said it was a horse, and my mind went "cow." Would I be allowed to write about a cow in shoes instead of a horse?

• Lee Fudge

Oh, this is gonna be good.

• rosemarywisdom

I AM IN I AM IN I AM IN!