Livelovecats

* 15 years old *
* Human *
* Cat lover *
* Writer *
* Reader *

" We don't meet people by accident. Everyone is meant to cross our paths for a reason."

Have you crossed paths with me? It must be fate!!

Race for the Kingdom (Part 2)

0
I am going to post this in parts so that it isn't necessary to fish through the entire first part to get to what I added. I will eventually update it when I have the whole story.

If it helps here is a link to a family tree that I made for this story:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dc8LdJQN777JZIZBc4Uqye9yCtNODVsYeqezMViyiqk/edit?usp=sharing 

She sighed, and I guess must have thought it was a direct command so she didn't question it. "Maria." Then she helped me put on some white leggings and shiny silver shoes.
    "You may stay in your room if you'd like," she told me after she was done with my outfit. "But I suggest that you go and great your people. There will be an announcement at five o'clock tonight and the funeral carriage will be sent off."
    I nodded and dismissed her, walking downstairs and towards my brother's room. A few minutes later he walked out the door and we both started to descend the stairs.
    Someone must have announced that we would be coming downstairs because all of the commoners were lined up and bowed as we walked. We then met some people for about an hour and they commented how wonderful it was to have us here. They must have expected that something was up though since none of them were truly happy. I assumed that usually King Timmy was here during meet and greet.
    I got to meet a few lucky kids as well, who seemed like they were more than happy to meet a noble's daughter who might soon be their queen. I don't think they knew that my dad was a noble though since they called me "princess" instead of "lady" but I didn't mind.
    Soon the common folk had to leave as the market was being cleaned up. Tristen and I then had a dinner with the King's Governors, where we got to meet all ten of them. They let me sit at the head of the table with Tristen on my left and the head governor at my right.
    They also announced my uncle's death to be more than a rumor, even though I already knew it was. The rest of the dinner seemed to last forever, with the governor's filling me in on details about how I may become queen soon.
    "You probably know that you are next in line for the throne, my lady," the head governor, Governor Phillip told me.
    "Ah, yes, I do know," I replied with a nod.
    "If it is so that no one else has the chance to step in line to claim the throne since we do give a month or else the royal rules would be sidestepped, then you will be able to become our queen."
    After this the governors filled me in on the process of which it takes to become a king or a queen in Markham and it took quite a while for them to finish. Finally the dinner was over and we had to get into the royal carriage with the funeral carriage behind us to finalize King Nane the Third's death.
    We rode to Gerbith, which was also known as the King's Town, since it was closest to the castle. It also had the richest commoners and was full of people who stood in the streets and watched as we passed. They had looks of somber and mourning on their faces as they saw the funeral carriage passed, although they did seem to know why we were there.
    After riding to the edge of Gerbith we finally returned back to the castle at a time when it was quite dark, and I retreated to my room to sleep. But even though my bed was warm and cozy I stayed awake.
    I didn't feel any mourning or sorrow for King Timmy's death since it would just give me the crown. I wasn't sure if I wanted to become the queen of my country though since it wouldn't be an easy task. Finally, I gave up on sleep and walked upstairs to wear my closet was.
    Something I forgot to add was that there was as balcony attached to the upstairs room and I went out onto it. It was quite big, probably stretching about ten feet long and eight feet wide. It wound around a quarter of my bedroom tower.
    I was really right off the ground and could see all the way down into Gerbith. Since the castle sat on the hill I could even see beyond it. Most of what I could see though was darkness, although below me the castle was all lit up and people were outside doing nightly tasks.
    A cool breeze came to me and ruffled my nightgown, and it felt nice although it made me shiver a little. Then I had an idea.
    Being a Lord's daughter I hadn't had much fun in my life, because my dad raised me as though I would someday be the one holding the sky up. Be serious, only joke and have fun when necessary. So maybe I thought it was time to have a little bit of fun, especially if I would soon become queen.
    I ran back into my room and changed into a riding outfit before running downstairs. When I wanted to I could be quite sneaky, and this was one of those times. I managed to get past all of the servants who crowded the hallways of the castle until I got outside.
    For some reason, I was surprised when I found Jacob feeding my horse Mysteria. I probably shouldn't have, but I was.
    I greeted him and he asked why I wasn't in bed, sleeping.
    I sighed. "There isn't much point in lying in bed awake if you know you won't fall asleep," I replied. It was a really stupid answer and I instantly regretted saying it to him but he just nodded. Of course, he wouldn't question it since I was the one who paid him (or really Mistress Lainey, but same thing).
    "Can you have Mysteria ready for a nighttime ride in ten minutes?" I asked him, breaking the silence. He nodded again and I started to wander the huge stables, looking at the hundreds of horses that belonged to some of the governor's who lived in the castle as well as a few of the high ranked army officials.
    In only a few minutes Jacob called to me and I saw that Mysteria was ready to ride. I smiled and thanked him, mounting her.
    I rode around the castle, passing the guards who didn't question me. I guess that once someone gets onto the castle grounds it is assumed that they are there to do good and not bad since it was too dark for them to see who I was.
    At one point I wandered down to the bottom of the hill the castle sat on, where the wall that protected it led into Gerbith. Part of me wanted to ride there but I knew that many people would disapprove and I was already getting tired. I ended up just riding back to the stables and dropping off Mysteria before going back to my room.
    It must have been only a few hours before I was supposed to get up because when I when I went to change back into my nightgown I found Maria picking out my outfits for the day. She was a bit astonished to see me wearing riding clothes but quickly handed me my nightgown and led me to my bed. It wasn't uncommon for servants to be up at these hours, but I wondered when she got to sleep.
    When it was time for me to get up Maria had already left to do other tasks and had left out a nice pale pink dress for me to wear. I put it on and also found a matching bow to put in my hair. Right as I was about to leave my room I heard a knock on the door and opened it to find a servant there, waiting.
    I invited her in and she told me that she was going to do my hair and I let her put it into a french braid and reattach the bow at the end. Then she left and I went downstairs to breakfast where Tristen was already waiting.

Before I knew it my days at the castle were flying by. It seemed like they got shorter and shorter, leading up to my coronation. But then five days after the funeral carriage had left bad news came.
It came in the form of a messenger who had brought the news from one of the guards at the castle wall. He ran into the meeting room during the morning meeting with the governors had.
    "There is a man," he said breathlessly. "He claims to be Resigned Princess Mia's son," the governor's exchanged glances and tried to get him to say more. He just gulped down air before continuing. "He wants the throne."
    It took a minute for the governor's to realize that Princess Mia must have had children. I mean, it made sense since if you are going to start a new life you might as well get married. I guess I hadn't expected this turn.
Four of the governor's ran out the door and I followed them, hearing a bit of debate behind me about whether or not Princess Mia's son was considered banned or not because of his mother. Assuming it was the truth.
    The castle lawn was huge and I was faster than the governor's so I arrived at the gate before they did. And I saw that there, at the castle gate, was a carriage with a young man who couldn't have been more than two years older than me.
    I could tell that if he was truly Mia's son, then she had managed to either marry into someone high up in the money system or had worked her way up because it was no simple carriage. It was huge travel carriage, the kind that had three sections which contained a sitting section which usually had flippable seats for sleeping in the middle, a servant section that was used to transport servants behind the sitting section, and a driver section so that there could be trade off drivers.
    Overall it was pretty nice travel carriage and I just gotta say- if the boy leaning up against it really was my second cousin I wouldn't be surprised. He had short cut brown hair and the same milky green eyes that both Tristen and I had. His skin was also extremely pale matching mine. He was dressed in travel clothes (no surprise there) but they were so nice that he could have worn them to a banquet and be voted the most finely dressed.
    I walked up to him and greeted him, shrugging off the guards that tried to push me back. "I am the Lady Scarlett," I told him. "And you seem to claim yourself to be whom?"
    "Prince Nathan, son of Princess Mia, soon to be King of Markham," he replied with a smirk. He had only said one sentence and I was already starting to hate him.
"I see. Why must you be here, 'Prince Nathan, son of Mia, soon to leave my country?'"
    "You mean 'soon to be King of Markham, right?" he asked. He didn't give me a chance to object before continuing. "I am here to claim the throne that my late mother should have had, the one that is going to be mine in a matter of days because of legal matters," he replied.
"How must one who has gone so low see himself fit to be king of a country that he isn't loyal to?" I replied. I barely knew this guy yet had already started insulting him. Although I guess he did start it so…
    He held his smirk and was about to answer when the governor's came up beside me.
Governor Philip took control of the situation and asked a couple of questions to this 'Prince Nathan' fellow, much like the ones that I had already asked. He replied with similar snarky answers and it was obvious that Governor Philip was not happy with him.
    "There's no way to check if you are actually royalty, but if you are then you have no right here. Princess Mia got her royal right revoked many years ago," Governor Philip informed him in a very formative way. It was obvious who he thought would win this battle.
    "Ah but you see that was my mother," Prince Nathan replied. "I am not her and she is not me. All that I ask is for the throne."
    "All you ask? All you ask? What do you mean that's all you ask!" I screamed at him. "You can't just go around outrageous    demands like that!"
    I didn't realize that I was only a foot from his stupid, smirking face, until Governor Philip had to pull me back and insist that I calm down.
    "She does have a point," he told Prince Nathan. "You can't just claim the throne. It's not your to take. I suggest you leave now."
    "Ah, but that is where you are wrong you see. Lady Scarlett and I, well, we have
the same grandparents. We are also the only ones in our family who can take the throne you see. So really the oldest of us gets to become the new king or queen, and that would, well, that would be me." Prince Nathan finished and his smirk was immediately back.
    The governor's and I- by now they had all gotten here- all stood at him with mouths open wide. He was right. But there must be some other rule. This couldn't be it, since if it was then the end of Markham was near. I couldn't tell what country he just came from but most likely it was Romf or another rich country that anyone could become the next ruler of.
    Finally one of the governor's came to their senses and sent a messenger to get the book of rules, the official ones for Markham that could only be adjusted by the king with a series of improvements. So while he ran to get the book I looked around at the awkward circle that I stood in the middle of. The governors were still behind me, although Governor Philip was only a little behind me to my left. In front of me there was Prince Nathan with his carriage, and his servants that had traveled with him stood behind the carriage watching. On the sides of the circle were fifteen or so guards to make sure that everything would be okay.
    "So, where are you from?" I asked Prince Nathan.
    He stared at me for a second then smiled and proudly answered, "Markham, of course."
    I just sighed and rephrased. "Where have you spent everyday of your life except for you days traveling here?"
    He frowned at this, not wanting to admit that this was the first time that he had been to Markham (this was already pretty obvious to me)
    "I grew up in Romf," he replied, and I smiled. I couldn't have guessed wiser.
    "What was your moms position there," I asked him, nodding at his carriage.
    "She worked her way up to marrying a nobleman," he answered. "Although she is still loyal to Markham, even though she is dead. My life goal is to take over her dream of ruling Markham."
    Now it was my time to smirk. "You mean that it is my life goal to govern Markham. Ruling is a term for tyrants. Not good tyrants either."
    He just shook his head and ignored my comment. I realized that everyone had just been watching us converse, not knowing what to say or do.
    Then the messenger returned with the rule book and Governor Philip flipped to it until he found the correct page.
    "It says here that if two people of equal rank who are the only ones able to claim the throne because of blood, either the older one shall claim it or there will be a simple sword fight. Whomever wins shall be coronated as the King or Queen of Markham."
    When I heard this I wasn't sure how to react. A sword battle seemed simple enough, but it wasn't really wasn't a sword battle if Markham was on the line. The thought just left me shivering. I looked over at Prince Nathan to find him staring at me with a look that I wished I hadn't seen. It was a "you're going down" kind of look. The shivers kept flowing up and down my spine.
    "Let's do it now, then," Prince Nathan said. I just broke out laughing. "What's so funny?" he asked.
    "You can't just do a battle for the new ruler of a country. You have to let the people see it. Otherwise no one is going to be happy about a new ruler coming from a fight nobody common witnessed," I informed him.
    "Well then let's get some commoners and do this!" he shouted at me. He must not see how complex his plan was and that nobody could move the world in two seconds.
    Governor Philip stepped in. "How about this. We will do the battle in ten days in the front lawn of the castle. We will inform everyone in Markham about it so there will be time to gather. It will also give time for the funeral carriage to reach the edge of the kingdom and come back."
    Prince Nathan and I looked at each other, and although I wasn't happy with him we shook hands and walked back to the castle keeping a ten foot distance from each other.
    For the rest of the day I avoided him. At one point he retreated to the room he had been given to rest and I was happy since there was no chance of me bumping into him. Meanwhile I spent most of the afternoon I practiced with a sword which I hadn't used in months.
    I considered myself good enough, but Governor Philip said that he planned to hire all the best sword fighters in the region to help me. I accepted his offer although I was half sure that Prince Nathan would smash me.
    The next day I was on a break from sword fighting and retreated to the royal gardens behind the castle. There was one section in particular that I had found a liking to with a small pond filled with fish, surrounded by small trees and bushes. It was hidden and I had found it by accident several day ago.
    It also had very nice grass that was a bit overgrown and some different flowers scattered around. There was even a small cement bench by the side of the lake. So anyways I went to this garden and had been sitting there for a few minutes when I felt this weird sensation. I couldn't really explain it but it felt like I wasn't the only one here.
    I looked around and saw a figure behind a tree and sighed. "Come on out," I told him, half expecting it to be Tristen. It was actually Prince Nathan though. He walked up to me, a small smile on his face. It was the first time I had seen him show a good emotion, and when I saw it I realized that he was… ugh. I don't know I can think this but he was a little...cute.
    "I guess that you are a bit smarter than I gave you credit for," he told me. "Anyways, how are you doing?"
    I looked at him and wondered where his smirk had gone. There wasn't any hint of it and I was surprised. It made me think that he wanted something from me.
    "I'm… doing good?" I told him, stuttering.
    He laughed, a real laugh. Now the only thing my brain was "what is happening?" I could have imagined so many different possibilities for conversations with him but this would have never been considered one of those.
    "Doing good, huh?" he replied. Then he nodded. "Maybe we can be friends. Even if, well, I win, you win, whatever."
    "Okay…"
    He just shrugged. "I'm sorry about yesterday. Two days in a carriage and your mother's death wish just kinda gets on your nerves sometimes, you know?" he said with another laugh, although it was a sad one and his voice cracked a little when saying his mother's death wish part.
    "Oh… I didn't know…" I told him. "I knew that she loved Markham and all… I'm sorry," I whispered.
    "It's okay," he whispered back. Then he came and sat next to me. The weird part is that I didn't think much about it just that he was grieving and all.
    "My parents died a while ago," I told him with a sigh. "It wasn't easy on my brother and I, and one of my mother's advisers took over all of my father's property and I would have gotten it in a year or so but if I become Queen then it will be my brother's which I hope for. I want him to have a good start into the world."

• December 5, 2018 - 7:01am (Now Viewing)