Img 6160

harshitarrao

Reading is believing, writing is creating.

I live through the characters I create with ink and paper, for they are far better people than I could ever be.

What's In a Name?

PROMPT: All in a Name

0
Not many people would disagree Shakespeare when he says, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet," but I like to put it differently. If I blindfolded you, gave you a rose and called it a sunflower, would you immediately put your nose to it and smell it? Would you be careful of thorns? So, in response to the great playwrite's quote in Romeo and Juliet, it's all in a name.

We have, from even before we were born, been conditioned to name everything we see, hear and feel. So, it isn't that different when it comes to names of people. My name is Harshita, it means 'full of happiness' in Sanskrit, an Indian language that most names are derived from. I like to think that's what made me the 'little bundle of joy' as my dad refers to me. 

Funny story. I've had someone named after me, because they saw how happy I am and wanted their daughter to be like me. So, in the end, what's in a name? Everything.