artificialaorta

[intp + 18 + they/them]
a gotdamn disaster

scorch me with critique

( #ICBYShortStory ) || a redefinition

7
A boy finds freedom, wearing a parody of bird wings on his back.

"You'll burn if you get any closer," 

"I don't believe you," Icarus says, every syllable a prayer in their own right. "I can't believe you," Nothing that beautiful could ever hurt him.

Apollo's smile curls the edges of his lips. Godly limbs meet mortal flesh and they tangle, together. Apollo desperately catalogs every detail, burns it into his memory - the scent of sweat and seawater and wax; the deep hazel stare; the way freckles bloom when he runs his fingers, feather-light across the boy's cheek. When their lips meet, Icarus feels distant flames.

He watches as the wax holding those wings drips, drips, drips down the boy's naked shoulders. No matter how tightly they clutch at each other - Icarus falls into the ocean below. 

The loss of a two-second lover. 
If only they'd had time.

still at it w tragic gay greek couples. no i will not stop.

• November 27, 2018 - 12:45am (Now Viewing)

• AminahMcBina

A two-lined poem just for you! Congrats!

• janice

Contest winners are up! (I'm doing this for Aminah ;)

• autoinfanticide

this is my favorite writing ever and i'm not being hyperbolic. i think i told you this already but it makes my bones ache when i read it. each word rips my heart right out of my chest. i love this so much. u really did That, bro

• artificialaorta

@ everyone
    thanks for your kind words! i still think i can probably polish this a bit more, not completely satisfied with how it turned out (but i am a perfectionist, so maybe it's that). you may see another version of this going around if i get around to improving it.

also! i've always thought of the story as more romantically inclined. i'm definitely not the only one! there are thousands (maybe hundreds) of other artists who have represented icarus' relationship with the sun. this is just my take on it!

• AminahMcBina

I agree with all the previous comments! Did you really have to use Greek Mythology? This shit just got a whole lot harder! I don't know how I'm going to judge all of these!!

Thanks for entering my contest, good luck!
    -Mina

• Araw

I saw a tumblr post about Icarus wanting to be with Helios or Apollo. I've always wanted to see it written. Love this piece.

• Johanna

OMIGOD(S). This is beautiful and stunning and breathtaking and amazing and I cannot get enough of it. This is so creative- I never thought of the story that way! And I love Greek Mythology too! I love this so much :3 The imagery is splendid too. <3

hell yeah that's the good stuff

• artificialaorta

find the contest here: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/90725/version/171620