Bye2

korra4life

I'm no longer on WtW and have withdrew the majority of my pieces. If you want to get in touch, you can message me on Instagram or my email (found in 'Message from Writer').

Thanks for being around, guys! Keep writing and DFTBA.

"Changing directions in life is not tragic. Losing passion in life is" - Max Lucado. Well... that happened, which is why I'm no longer on WtW. I'll be fine.

Check out my IG (if you want): https://goo.gl/CSk1Dz

Email me if you want collaborations, need reviews, or anything else: farrahgenewriting@gmail.com

Struck, pt. 8

3
I swing my legs, propelling me forward. The old, rusted chains groan from my weight and movement but they hold strong. The large waffle cone in my hands is starting to freeze my hand but I continue to hold it and swing. I lick the soft vanilla ice cream, warm fudge and caramel filling my senses. 
"So...?" Valeria asks from the swing next to me. I sigh and lick my ice cream again. Shrieking children are on the other side of the playground, probably by the slides or the balance beams. The putrid scent of a baby's diaper reaches my nose and I groan.
I rub my nose and push my legs again. "What do you want to talk about?" I lick my ice cream. 
"Anything. Let's talk about... movies," she says quickly. I hear something thump against the ground and she hops off the swing. "I absolutely love the Sherlock Holmes series." 
"I've never watched them," I mumble and tilt my head up. Sunlight pours down on my face and I relax. I try to think of all of the movie nights that my family has had in the past. I grin and glance back at where Valeria should be. "My favorite movie of all time is Casablanca." 
Valeria laughs and comes closer, holding onto my swing. I jerk to a stop and face her. She leans against the swing and says, "Of all people, I meet a Casablanca fan." I smile and hop down, tightening my grip on my ice cream. 
"Don't tell me you don't like Casablanca," I sigh and lean against one of the legs of the swingset. Valeria just groans. "I don't think I can continue socializing with you."
Valeria's laugh is soft and musical. I try to hold back a grin but one spreads on my face anyway. It feels so amazing to just smile. To be normal. To be able to live for an hour without worrying about my weaknesses and to just enjoy my circumstance. "I've never watched Casablanca. But, I've been told that it's amazing. I just hate popular stuff, you know? I try to go with my own flow." I nod and take a large bite of the ice cream. I groan as the cold stabs my teeth and mouth. 
As soon as it fades, I stand up straight and shrug. "I guess I can understand. It's just... there are some things that you've got to experience in life. You can't just ignore it because a lot of people know of it. You'll miss out on everything that life has to offer if you do" I say softly, meaning every word. Valeria's soft hand touches my bare arm and I snap out of my thoughts. 
"Let's watch Casablanca, then. But, you have to watch, at least, the first Sherlock Holmes movie" she says quickly. I smile, about to nod, before I realize what she asked. I tilted my head down and forced myself to blink. I can't cry in front of her. I don't want to think about the fact that I'm blind and that I can't see. I just want to stay in this playground for a little longer, arguing about movies. 
I take in a deep breath. "I can't watch anything with you, Valeria," I whisper. I feel her move closer and I want to pull away but there's nowhere to go. The thick pole behind me keeps me from moving. "Even though I've memorized every line of Casablanca, and I know exactly how every character looks in every scene, it won't be the same. Not without actually seeing it. I haven't... I haven't watched a movie in so long and, thinking about it now, it breaks my heart.
"I'm not a movie fanatic, but I love seeing the way the crew put together every single setting. The makeup, outfits, hairstyle of each actor. The props, furniture, lighting of every scene. It made me want to achieve something, with my pictures. It gave me a purpose in life that nothing else has granted me. I-I-I can't ruin those memories by trying to watch something without being able to see the beauty of the art. I'm sorry, I can't." 
Before I realize it, or can do anything about it, Valeria's arms wrap around me. I stiffen, dropping my waffle cone and the ice cream with it. After the accident, every time my parents hugged me, I pushed away. Whenever anyone tried to embrace me, I filed it as pity and sympathy and refused to accept it. But, Valeria's hug feels like neither. It feels like understanding and refuge, all in one place. Despite her muscle and strength, there's a warmth that's comforting. 
"I promise, you won't regret it. Let's just watch the movies, okay?" she says quietly, her voice strong. 
I blink several times and try to focus my scattered thoughts. When that doesn't work, I do the only thing I can do. I hug her back and whisper, "Okay."
This is Part 1.     
This is Part 2.     
This is Part 3.   
This is Part 4.  
This is Part 5
This is Part 6.
This is Part 7.

• korra4life

Thank you

• Mary Wall

This is so good! Keep going!

• korra4life

Thank you very much! I've been kind of worried that my descriptions throughout the miniseries haven't been that great since I usually rely a lot of sight. Having a blind character takes that away from me and I have to use the other senses, ones that I'm not so great at using.

Some great descriptions here :DD
    I really like this :)