Peer Review by LyraLynne (United States of America)()

Skipping Stones

By: annie_cheng

PROMPT: Why I Write

I write because I am frightened of how my thoughts sink into the unknowable depths like skipping stones. I write because it unsettles me how recklessly they fling themselves into time and space, skimming cavalierly across the ocean of my mind, as I, always the skeptic and the pessimist, wait impatiently on the shore. I write with the fractious skipping stones grasped in my shaky butter fingers, threatening to break loose at any moment, as I desperately carve my mark onto something more enduring than water. But paper, too, can be burned and forgotten. Even so, I write as a futile attempt at permanence.  

I guess I write because I'm scared of losing my thoughts. I hate thinking about all of the brilliant ideas that have been lost because someone didn't try (albeit futilely) to hold onto them. Am I a thought hoarder? Maybe...

"I am frightened of how my thoughts sink into the unknowable depths like skipping stones. I write because it unsettles me how recklessly they fling themselves into time and space, skimming cavalierly across the ocean of my mind..."
This is such an accurate representation that I had never thought about before. Like, how it seems like your thoughts aren't your own and they're just controlling your life until suddenly you grab on and can finally write it down. I love the imagery here. I can picture this perfectly because I now see it within my own brain. Also, the vocab choices give it an air of sophistication.

I fully relate to the fear of your thoughts sinking into the seemingly inevitable abyss. Sometimes at night, I have to quick jot something down because I can't forget that thought, and I have to write it down before it's gone. So fleeting a moment, so quick the words come that you have to be ready when it does and I relate to that on a molecular level.

This is so deep and thought-provoking. I love the intrigue and sense of urgency in the wording. Sorry, this is so late, but your pieces are all spectacular! Beautifully worded and impressively written!