Eeeb10378387afdb04fc3e687da002ec

annie_cheng

pronouns | she/her
house | ravenclaw
patronus | hummingbird
age | 16

“Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly. They’ll go through anything. You read and you’re pierced.” - Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

I guess I write because I'm scared of losing my thoughts. I hate thinking about all of the brilliant ideas that have been lost because someone didn't try (albeit futilely) to hold onto them. Am I a thought hoarder? Maybe...

Skipping Stones

PROMPT: Why I Write

12
I write because I am frightened of how my thoughts sink into the unknowable depths like skipping stones. I write because it unsettles me how recklessly they fling themselves into time and space, skimming cavalierly across the ocean of my mind, as I, always the skeptic and the pessimist, wait impatiently on the shore. I write with the fractious skipping stones grasped in my shaky butter fingers, threatening to break loose at any moment, as I desperately carve my mark onto something more enduring than water. But paper, too, can be burned and forgotten. Even so, I write as a futile attempt at permanence.  

• Norah

Gorgeous prose! It’s always wonderful to see why other writers do what they do. Also, love the Zora Neale Hurston quote, Their Eyes Were Watching God is one of my favorites.

• paperbird

Just so you know--I finished November Reviewing Assignments a while ago and reviews of Split Ends and #LifeLemonsPrompt should soon be coming your way. I don't why it's taken so long to be approved.

• Madison Kristine

This piece is beautiful, and I can totally relate. Also, I just wanted to say that I noticed your quote in your bio. Brave New World is my favvvvvvorite book!

• AbigailSauble

Beautiful job!

• janice

Contest winners are up!

• camlily

This is incredible. It was so delicious to read, I love the words that you included and the metaphor that you perfectly conveyed.

• paperbird

Ooh, definitely going to review this one.