Dsc 5750 %282%29

AbigailSauble

Child of God
Pro-life
Wordsmith
Photographer
Marine sister
Homeschooler
English Country Dancer
Dessert enthusiast
Reader
Musician
Singer
Artist
ISFJ
Aquaphobe
Volleyball devotee
Movie quoter
Tea drinker
Airsofter
Cat lover
Youtuber

' "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD.' ~ Isaiah 54:10

Proud USMC sister!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"Most people never meet their heroes;
I grew up with mine." ♥

“And the one good thing about being down here, is that we’ll save on funeral expenses.” ~ Puddleglum (The Silver Chair)

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars." ~ Martin Luther King Jr

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~ Winnie the Pooh

https://avigayilphotography.viewbug.com/

Christmas Away from Home

6
Rain is drizzling outside. 
   Snow is on the forecast for tonight. But strangely I'm not filled with the usual excitement for coming snow-forts and frozen men with brooms in their "hands". 
   Instead, I think of my brother.
It's December. Thanksgiving is the past, and now daily there are cars zooming by with all-sizes of Christmas trees strapped to the top, or tossed in the truck bed.
   And my brother isn't home.
Often, I think I see him sitting at the piano, running his hands over the white and black keys. Other times, I'll see him outside in the miserable weather, stringing up colorful lights on the eaves.
   But my brother isn't coming home this Christmas.
You'd be mistaken if you think he doesn't want to come home. He wants it more than anything. As he sits on some exotic beach somewhere in the Pacific ocean, the sand turns to snow as it sifts through his fingers. And then he's home. Back with his memories.
   At this time of year, his thoughts revolve around Christmas. The eggnog, the gift giving, the Christmas carols. But he would forfeit all of that if only he could be with his family for Christmas.
   Instead, he's on a military base, serving our country while the rest of us sit at home sipping hot chocolate and playing games that will have grown boring by tomorrow.
   As I watch people scurry around going Black Friday shopping and making gifts for each other, I wonder if they're thinking about those who won't get to be with their families this Christmas.
   Because I know I am.
"Merry Christmas, Seth." I whisper. My breath makes a circle of steam on the glass.
   And the rain continues to drizzle outside.

This is dedicated to my two brothers who won't get to come home for Christmas. 

1

• paperbird

Wow, this is beautifully written. Good luck to your brothers, and I hope you have a merry Christmas.

• AbigailSauble

Thanks so much for your sweet comment! I will. :) Yes, both of my brothers are in the military. :)

• Made4Love

Aww, I know you and your family will miss them and they'll miss you guys.
    While I'm sad with you, I am deeply grateful for his service to our country. Let your brother know I wish him a merry Christmas, too.
    Do both of your brothers serve?