C06555d5 101c 455d b19d 31375aff8c56

Engi Abou-El-Kheir

France

Sufferer of severe wanderlust, owner of freckles, lover of rain and rock music.

Is this piece a bit confusing or too off topic? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Engi

PROMPT: All in a Name

1
My name is Engi. Yes, that's E-N-G-I; no that's not how it's pronunced, it's EN-GEE, as in gee thanks. Sometimes when I'm introducing myself or getting introduced, I feel the need to start the conversation with that opener so I don't have to go through the painful trial of having people pronouncing my name wrong or spelling it wrong.
For the pronounciation part, people usually think that my name is Angie, or at least is pronunced in the same way, when it is NOT. There are some other people who say it IN-GEE, and some creative people, EN-JAY.
For the spelling, I have made a game of seeing in how many different (WRONG) ways people can spell my name: Angie, Angi, Anji, Anjie, Engie, Enji, Enjie, N.G. (believe it.)...eight so far!
Some days I'll find it entertaining that people find it that hard, and some days Ill get really frustrated because IT'S NOT THAT HARD.
My mother says that my name is a Turkish name that means 'pearl', but I have tried and tried to find it on Google Translate, and no luck at all for that meaning. I have found that in Icelandic, Engi translates as 'meadow'. When you look up my name, you don't find any definitions, or many (or any) people other than me. When I look up my first name on 'How Many Of Me', I get the result, 'one or less people in the US have the name Engi'. (I use the US, not because I am from there, but because of the huge scale of different people living there). When I look my first name up, I get a bunch of engineering websites, because it turns out 'engi' is short for engineering. It surprises me no one has ever made a joke out of that one.
My name is quite unique and I'm happy for that. At least people don't forget my name (usually) even if they do misspell and mispronounce it.T

To people who spell and pronounce my name right the first try: I love you instantly, thanks!

1

• Engi Abou-El-Kheir

Thank you both Hanan and Lola! I'm glad you liked it! Anything I could/should improve? I love both of your names, too! And we would be best friends, I can feel it; you got my name right, first try, only reading it!! xx

• Lola Mae

I'm proud to say I saw how your name was spelled and pronounced it right automatically! This is lovely and humorous. Wear your unique name like a badge of honor!

• Hanan Adi

I pronounced your name correctly on the first try. It's true, you have a unique name. Thank you for sharing your experience with it!