Christy Wisdom

Hello people! What to say? I'm a Christian girl. I like to write. I write tons of poetry, some short stories, and other things.
I like
NARUTO
Imagine Dragons
LOTR
Harry Potter
Agents of SHIELD
Artemis Fowl
My Hero Academia
God bless you!

This is a response to Paperbird's Philosophical questions. Comments are alright, but please be respectful.

A response to Paperbird's philosophical questions (Christian POV)

5
Here are my responses. Just remember, I am pretty young so these are just my opinions. Also, while I am a Christian, these are not the opinions of a Catholic one. I also do not mean to be disrespectful.
I.                     I don't think that Christianity has to explain the Big Bang Theory, because (1) it is just a theory. I don't believe that it's been proven to be true. (2) Christians do not necessarily believe in the Big Bang. I believe in God saying, "Let there be light." and then there was light (creationism). I think that this could plausibly have looked like the Big Bang, or the nebula theory (if you've heard of it), but I do not think that that is necessarily how it happened. Also, on the point about the bits of religion that have been disproven, can you be more specific? Religion is a broad term, and so while you could mean that part of religion A has been disproved, it would not leave religion B implausible.
II.                   I’m not quite sure I understand your question. I think that there will always be Christians somewhere in the world, for in the Bible it says in Romans 11:5, “So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace.”
III.                 No, I would not agree that Christianity is a form of expressing one’s desires and beliefs, what I fear and what I wish to be. Rather, I think that because of my religion, I have the basis of my beliefs and what I wish to be. Some desires and fears I think also come from Christianity (e.g. I fear God).
IV.                I don’t know about this. This is one of those questions that I would talk about with a pastor instead. I think that we shouldn’t go to church because we want to feel good about ourselves. I think that we are meant to go there to learn about Jesus, gain instruction about Him, and to worship Him.
V.                  Christianity does not separate people into groups of Good or Bad. Okay, well sort of. But none of us are sorted into Good. Everybody is sorted into the Bad category: we are all sinners. Not one of us deserves Heaven. You can only go to Heaven if you are completely sinless. Jesus is the only one who is. He died for us, making a way to get to Heaven. To get to Heaven, you must accept Jesus as your savior and believe in the Gospel. If not, you will go to Hell.
VI.                I don’t really know what to say to this question. I don’t know why we would want to believe in a god if it was false. Maybe we would’ve wanted to believe in a future hope. I know that my God is the one true God, and so I have no real idea of how that would work.
VII.               Disclaimer: I am not trying to offend anybody by saying this. Just be warned. The thing about believing in Christianity is that you have to acknowledge that you are a sinner. That you have done wrong, and that you don’t deserve to go to anywhere other than Hell after you die. I think that some people don’t want to acknowledge that they are doing anything wrong. Also, they might not want to acknowledge that they are going to get judged based off of what they have done at the end of their lives.
VIII.             I think that if God ordered a follower to kill a random person on the street, it would be reasonable to do it. God makes the rules.
IX.                 First part. I don’t think that God is an element. Rather, He created the elements. Earth, water, air, fire (I’m starting to sound like The Last Airbender XD). He is the only pure One, and He has created everything around us. When somebody creates something beautiful, do we praise the craftsmanship? No. We praise the Creator. And that is who God is.
Part 2. First, those people who sacrificed themselves are still sinners. They are still not pure. We worship Jesus because He is pure and because He deserves all of the glory and praise. He is God, and those people are not. Also, if I were to ask one of those people who sacrificed themselves for the good of humanity whether they thought that they had sacrificed themselves for every single person in the world or not, what would they say? I don’t think that they would say that they had. When Jesus sacrificed Himself, the pure and blameless one, He paid for all of the bad things that we have ever done, that we are doing, and that we will ever do. Those who sacrificed themselves did not.
X.                   I think that it does matter that we believe in God and worship Him, because that is what we were made for. We were made to glorify Him. Also, I would like to point out that John Piper wrote an awesome book on how we can be Christian hedonists and do it in way that is not wrong. Besides that, I don’t think that we can feel truly content and happy without God. Have you ever heard the story of the rich young ruler and Jesus?
Matthew 19:16-26 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
The Rich Young Ruler
16 And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” 17 And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18 Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; 19 Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man *said to Him, “All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be [a]complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.

If you will be complete, come and follow Me. Haven’t you ever felt empty? Maybe you have a pretty content life, and I do too. But I still feel something’s missing sometimes. My youth pastor did a couple sermons on this. It’s like a puzzle with one piece missing. I know which one I need to put in (Jesus), but I don’t always put it in. We try to fill that hole with games, books, money, etc. But really, the only way to be complete is to follow Jesus, our Savior. Therefore, I don’t think that we can be completely content and happy without God.

• Christy Wisdom

Thanks so much, Aravis! As for your question N., I believe we would be called evangelical Christians? I could be wrong, but I think that's what it is anyways. Thanks!

• N.

I randomly clicked on this because I like reading about topics people debate, and now I'm wondering: what denomination of Christianity are you, if you don't mind me asking? I was raised Catholic, so my inner Catholic cringed when I read Number 5 (since we believe Mary was sinless too). So now I'm curious ;)
    Then again, I'm not super devout and fit more into the "I don't care what you call the creator as long as you're happy" kind-of box. Muslim, Christian, Wiccan, atheist, I don't care. We all have our personal beliefs. (Maybe that makes me a "bad" Christian but I was always a bigger fan of the "love and accept everyone" Bible verses)
    Okay I'm ranting. But I do admire your devotion and dedication :)

• Aravis Tarkheena

I'm kind of pulling my stuff off this site, I'm not so sure anymore about sharing everything with the internet, but thank you. I had a few run-ins with people I strongly disagree with, and I just wanted to let you know that even if they aren't listening, it is encouraging to hear/read the truth being proclaimed.

• Christy Wisdom

No problem! I'm glad you understand it better. Also thank you, AbigailSauble.

• Kahasai

That is a good answer. Well said. I understand it now. Thank you for the response, I appreciate it. :)

• AbigailSauble

I really love your answer to Kahasai. :)

• Christy Wisdom

"If we were created to worship God ... Then isn't that arrogant of him?" First of all, thank you for asking this question. Thank you for your questions too, Paperbird. I think that these questions have helped me to try to find out why I think what I do about Christianity. So, as for the question listed above... this is what I have to say. I talked to a couple other Christians (one of them a pastor) and have come to this answer.
    It's considered wrong for us to tell others to praise us. It tells them that we feel that we are better than them in some way, correct? Well the difference is, God IS better. Infinitely better than us. Also, God did the kindest thing He could for us to tell us to worship He who is most worthy. My grandpa (the pastor) explained that it would be like false humility for God to direct us to another source of pleasure. It’s best for us to worship Him. Also, let’s say that for example you are at a football game. If you like football, you will enjoy it. If you don’t, you won’t enjoy it at all. But let’s say that you enjoy it, and that you are told that you can’t cheer for them. Now, most people really like to praise/worship/cheer whatever they really love. It makes them happier because they can say, “Look at this! It’s so great!”. It shares the joy with others, making them happier in the process. Now, let’s apply it to God. If my heart is overflowing with happiness and I can share it with someone, telling them how great God is, it makes me even happier. He created us to worship Him, yes, but worshipping Him brings us joy.
    My brother said something like this. Imagine you are a lawyer. Now, you know that you are the best lawyer, infinitely better than any other. Let’s say a person comes to you, saying they need help with their important case. Wouldn’t it be less loving for you to refer them to someone else when you could do better? If God can give us happiness for eternity, wouldn’t it be much more loving for Him to tell us to worship Him so that we can have that joy than to tell us to find lesser love from another source? This is why it is not arrogant for Him to tell us to worship Him.
    I hope this answers your question!

• Christy Wisdom

No problem! I'm glad you agree.

• janice

I agree with you so much!! Thank you for posting this

• Christy Wisdom

I. I don’t know of this research. Can you provide me with a link so that I can research this?
    II. Maybe, that is understandable (I did not actually read up on it too much, but I understand what you’re getting at), but I would refer you to this website that talks about animals and Christianity. It’s called The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission and it should be titled something like 10 Biblical truths about animals. What do you think?
    V. Disclaimer: I really don’t mean any disrespect to your views, I’m just trying to answer honestly and in the best way that I can. Yes, I do know that other religions believe in parts of the Bible, such as the Mormons. But the other thing is, you can’t just believe in the Old Testament, or just the New Testament. You have to believe the whole thing. For example, without the New Testament, you wouldn’t have an essential part of the Gospel. You wouldn’t know about Jesus, so you couldn’t believe that He was raised from the dead and that He is Lord and that He died for your sins though He was pure, correct? Also, I don’t think that God wants us to add to the Bible. If He told us of nothing else to put into it, then I don’t think anything should be added.
    I’ll try to explain my reasoning on why it’s right for us to say that any religion is the supreme one. First off, I think that Christianity does not just say it is supreme, I think that it says that it is the only right one. Also, other religions do not always believe in the same God as Christians do, or they believe in many gods. I know there are religions that might not even believe in a god, but I am trying to answer what you said specifically. Sorry, but I didn’t really understand your question of “is it selfish to say that your religion is better than others?” Can you expand on that? As for whether or not it gives an idea of my own supremacy, I think that’s not what we do when we say that Christianity is correct. I think that when I say that, it means that God is supreme, not me. God is most powerful, and because He says that He is the only God, I cannot say that any other religion is correct if they believe in another.
    VI. Okay. I don’t really know, but what about the Christians that have been persecuted for their faith? If they just liked the supremacy, but knew that they had made God up, why would they then keep letting themselves be persecuted? Why not just renounce the religion and stop being tortured?

I hope I am answering these questions in a satisfactory way. I mean no offense in whatever I say, I just want to tell you what I think about these topics.

• paperbird

I. So there is proof, based on bone structure of dug-up skeletons and artifacts, that humans came from primates. How would you explain that?
    II. Scientific proof shows that that is highly unlikely. Other animals are not prone to thought patterns unless it is based on survival. If you read up on it, you can see that.
    V. Did you know that Christianity, Islam, and Judaism all come from the exact same roots? All three share the Old Testament of the Bible, and branch out from there. I think Christianity has fewer differences with other religions that you might realize, and, in any case, I don't think it's right for any religion to say that they are the supreme one. I mean, you all believe basically the same thing--that God(s) exists, that He/She is great, that it is the duty of the people to worship. In any case, isn't it sinful to say that your religion is better than others? It suggests selfishness and an idea of your own supremacy, both of which are counted as sins (I think... don't quote me on that. But it's something like that, right?)
    VI. That's an interesting point, but I think I have an answer: humans like supremacy. If they create/believe in a God who only accepts those who believe in Him to Heaven, then they will always get into Heaven, whereas others won't. This creates a sort of order of humans, where believers are right at the top.
    IX. Good point.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions <3

• Christy Wisdom

Oh, it's a little bit clearer now (I think). Do you mean like how we know that humans do bad things, but then Christianity tells us why (sin nature)? I think that yes, this might be true in some cases. However, I think that at times Christianity sort of tells how as well as why (like with creation). In the Bible, we are told how God created man, and we are told why. Also, there are some things in the Bible that cannot be explained by science. For example, in the Bible, a storm happened and the waves were getting rough. The disciples and Jesus were on a boat during this. Jesus calmed this storm and the waves. So that begs the question, how? I don't think that science knows how He did, because the only logical explanation is that this Jesus that is in the boat with the disciples is the Son of God, part of the holy Trinity.

• Kahasai

So, science says, "How does the atom function? It functions like this ...." Religion says, "Why does the atom function the way it does?" If you keep asking why, why, why, you're eventually going to be unable to give a scientific answer. "Why does the atom function like that?" Well, no one knows why. But they know how. That's where religion steps in and says, "This is why." Then religion points to science and says, "Look to them if you want to know how." See? Religion is the why and science is the how.

Am I making sense?

• Christy Wisdom

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to comment on your "Science explains the how; religion explains the why." thing. I'm not sure I quite understand. Are you saying that Science explains how things work, and religion explains why things work the way they do? I'm sort of confused. :/

• Christy Wisdom

Kahasai, I think that I will be able to talk to them later tonight. If I can, I will try to post an answer here tonight. If not, I'll try to tomorrow.

• Christy Wisdom

I. Can you be specific? I don’t know which proof you are talking about. For example, there are some articles on the internet that talk about why the Big Bang might not be true. I do not believe in evolution. First of all, our bodies are complex. I don’t believe that anyone other than God could have made that. Also, consider tails on animals such as squirrels. They use them to help them balance, right? Well, if you go along with the only evolving things being useful, then their existence doesn’t make sense. You would have to develop the tail, the muscle that moves it, and the connections from the brain to it all separately. By themselves, they don’t make sense. Why would you have a muscle there without anything for it to move? No disrespect intended.
    II. That makes a lot more sense. Thank you for clarifying. The thing is, how do we know that rabbits and mice don’t know of God? We don’t know what they’re thinking. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did know of their Creator, regardless of their intelligence.
    III. I suppose that He is, yes. I just wanted to point out that He is not only that. Because that could be taken to mean that God is shaped by our beliefs and values, when for example my beliefs and values are actually shaped by Him.
    IV. Well, it’s true. It’s like this. Say that you were a teenager, and your Mom and Dad (both Christians) took you to church every Sunday. You might be going to church, but that does not mean that you believe that the Gospel is true. You can only go to Heaven based on faith, not your own works. Going to church is a work. Also, I really like C.S. Lewis.
    V. Disclaimer: I don’t mean to insult anyone. I think that in order to believe that there is only one God, yes, other religions would have to be wrong. God tells us not to worship false gods, and I would consider the gods in other religions to be those. Yes, history does sometimes go bloody because of debates over that.I think that for one thing, just because something is called “Christianity” does not mean that it follows what God would have wanted them to do in that situation. Not to say that no Christians ever started a war but consider this. We are sinners. We do not always do the right thing. I hope this makes sense, and I am trying to answer these as best as I can. A pastor could probably do better.
    VI. That’s interesting. But that begs the question; why would they create a god who told them that they were going to Hell at the end of their lives if they didn’t follow Him?
    VII. Yes, it is.
    VIII. Well, people have done bad things before for other false gods. I mean, in the Bible it was mentioned that some followers of false gods sacrificed their children to them. That’s just wrong. I suppose it would be terrifying, yes, but the thing about my God is that He does not do anything wrong. That is why if He told a follower to kill someone, it would be for good reason.
    IX. I don’t know if I can explain this too well. I think that for one thing, as is mentioned before, Christianity is faith-based. I have faith that Jesus is the pure Son of God and that He is God. I have faith that the Bible is true to its word. Also, if my Lord who is perfect is not real, then why would I follow any other religion? Why would any other religion or none at all be any better than to believe that there is a God in heaven who loves me and is pure? If you knew someone who was perfect in every way, wouldn’t you ask them how they do it? Wouldn’t you strive to be like them? We can’t be perfect. We’re human. But I want to be more like Jesus. If He isn’t perfect, then who is? John 1:1 says “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” If Jesus is the Word, and He was in the beginning, He was with God, and He was God, should I not worship him?
    X. Yes, I suppose it is sad to think that we have all sinned, and unpleasant to know that we are not perfect. But even though God is telling us that we have sinned, He also tells us that we are His children. That we are fearfully and wonderfully made (it’s a verse). He tells us that He loves us.

• Kahasai

@Christy Wisdom, I appreciate the response. When you have spoken with other Christians on the matter (how long will take? days? minutes? hours?) please notify me. I'd love to hear your answer. I appreciate that you don't want to misspeak and give me the wrong idea.

• Kahasai

@Paperbird, the religions definitely shape the people, or the people shape the religion. Vikings had a lot of war gods from whom you may ask help, Christianity speaks of virtues and worship.

I agree with Paperbird. I am perfectly happy without the need of believing that a celestial being exists.

Thank you for posting this. :)

• Christy Wisdom

I'll try to answer your questions, Paperbird. It might take a bit though.

• Christy Wisdom

Kahasai, thank you for asking that question. However, I would like to talk to some other Christians about that before answering it because I do not want to give you the wrong idea.

• Kahasai

If we were created to worship God ... Then isn't that arrogant of him?

• paperbird

I. What do you think of the constant scientific proof of the Big Bang? Do you believe in evolution (which is also disproven by creationism). @Kahasai also gave views on this type thing, and she said that "science explains the how; religion explains the why." Do you agree with that?
    II. I guess I was thinking if religion was a milestone that a species can undergo. For example, mice and rabbits don't know of God's existence--they are not intelligent enough.
    III. But we can all agree that God is the embodiment of our beliefs and values, right?
    IV. I came up with this question after reading The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. C.S. Lewis is a devout Christian, and he says that one can be going to Church and still be on the path to hell. I guess I was wondering what you thought of that. It's an interesting idea, at any rate.
    V. Okay, thank you---I was kind of wondering about that. But I still kind of disagree. What about other religions? Are they all just wrong? Isn't that where history went bloody--where other religions constantly thought of themselves as the Right Religion, and then fought to the death?
    VI. My theory is that people need someone to watch over them and someone to constantly love them. They need someone great in their lives, so they created a spirit that is the embodiment of their dreams.
    VII. I agree with that. Even if you aren't a Christian, a huge part about being a good person is acknowledging that you and everyone around you has flaws.
    VIII. So what if God went bad (I know He wouldn't, but let's pretend). Don't you find it a bit terrifying that people will absolutely do whatever God says, even if it's wrong?
    IX. But how do we know that He is perfect? Why do we feel the need to worship one who is perfect? Part 1 makes sense, but I'm still a bit confused about Part 2.
    X. I don't know. Maybe I don't like religion because it's kind of a downer--we're all just sinners, and we can never be good, because God is the only one that can be good. I like to keep my self esteem.
    Last bit - With no offense intended, I feel perfectly happy and complete without a God, though I thank you for your concern. For me, the missing puzzle piece is general ethics, morals, and sciences. Maybe someday we will find that God and the things stated are not so different.

Anyway, thank you for reading my piece and respecting it! I really enjoy hearing opinions on this, and this was very interesting to read. I'm glad you felt the need to step up and state your beliefs.

Good way of stating things! Stay strong on those points :D