Violettying

Araw

Writers block is a plague and I'm infected. Hi, I'm Araw. I'm seventeen and I call myself I writer.

I only started writing to practice for a scholarship exam. Five years later, here I am.

Contest Winners! (Finally)

9
Okay, so it's been more than a week since the submission date for my contest and I'm like really late on this, but I've got my winners. It was so close and difficult to pick people for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd as well as the honourable mentions. So here they are!

First Place:

Stitches by Onion3102 

This entry's concept was so creative and I loved the themes so much. I have a soft spot for all things medical and surgical so this piece was amazing for me. Also, the whole atmosphere and style of the piece was so expertly done and you can tell that there is purpose in the detail. It's so sinister. I love it. Onion, choose five pieces that you want me to review and I will go through 10-15 pieces of yours and like the ones I like (if you have preferences for those, please comment them as well). I already follow you, so I can't give that prize again.

Second Place: 

Dance by kaydenblue

The use of techniques in this piece is so well done. I can tell you put a lot of work into this poem. The themes you write about and your take on one of the prompts are both some of my favourite aspects of the poem. The subject matter of dance and the effects of stage parenting is just so interesting to me. Good job on this piece because it is one of my favourites. Please comment 3 pieces you want me to review. I will also go through 5-10 pieces and like the ones I like so if you've got preferences for those please comment those, too.

Third Place:

let me go by fatpanda

The idea of wanting freedom from an over protective parent is so well conveyed through the metaphor of a delicate glass figure surrounded by glass walls. I love how the message is clear and easily decipherable, but you still manage to preserve the technical and artistic nature of your writing. A balance between those two things isn't easily achieved. I'll review three pieces of your choice as well as go through five pieces of yours and like the ones I genuinely like. If you have any preferences for those, comment them. 

Honourable Mentions: 

shrinking violet by Anha

The imagery of this piece just absolutely made it for me.The way you describe nature is so artistic and beautiful and I just had to give you an honourable mention for this piece. It's wonderful and a prime example of how well you can write. Well done.

butterfly wings by Oscar_Locke

You never fail to amaze me with the quality of your work and this time is no exception. The numerous emotions you can portray in one piece without making it confusing or overwhelming is insane and it takes a lot of skill to do that. From the passion of a relationship to the heartbreak of betrayal to the anger in a fight, you make the transitions between these things so smooth and seamless. Amazing work. 

Both authors of the honourable mentions please comment which piece of yours you would like me to review. You get a choice of one piece each.

As I've said before, it was insanely hard to choose winners and a lot of the decisions I had to make were close ones. I'm glad everyone tried their best for this because I could really see the effort in all the entries. They were all of such high quality and it was tough to narrow down. I hope you guys enjoyed the contest and maybe there will be more in the future. Thank you again to those who entered.

• November 19, 2018 - 2:16am (Now Viewing)

• fatpanda

Hey, again.
    Could you please review my entry for this contest and any two other pieces except 'rise'? Thanks :)

• kaydenblue

Thank you very much Araw! I'm really surprised and touched I placed - especially with the amazing writing submitted by everyone else. Congratulations to everyone who entered, and to the other winners! I haven't got a preference for any of the pieces I'd like reviewed or read, so I'll leave the choice up to you. Thanks again :)

GOOD CHOICES!!! :D

• paperbird

Congrats y'all

• AminahMcBina

Congrats Onion3102, fatpanda, and kaydenblue! Congrats to everyone else, as well!!! This contest was fun, thanks for hosting!!!!

-Mina

• Onion3102

OMG THANK YOU SOOO MUCHHH!!!!! I really can't believe I actually won with what amazing work everyone else put out. Congratulations to everyone who participated, especially those who won!!! I'm not sure what pieces I wanted reviewed except for maybe this entry? I'll comment later with the others but otherwise, thank you so much for holding this contest! It was so much to write for! XD

Congrats to the winners! It's funny because you're the only writer on this site that I know offers reviews for honorable mentions. If you could review my contest entry that would be great (even though I know it won't come in before the final due date I want to know what you think of it) - https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/88955/version/171423

• fatpanda

Thank you, so, so much! I wasn't sure I would get anything seeing the number of entries, but this was a really great surprise. Could you please go through 'loved, only not', 'clear', 'rise', 'hope' for now? I'll comment which piece I want to be reviewed soon.
    Thank you so much!

Congratulations to everyone, even if they did not win!