tressell

Sweden

4 AM

It is 4 AM, the air is crisp and the sky has been drenched in an odd, almost lavender shade of purple. Clouds sweep the horizon, tinted slightly yellow. The sun is nowhere to be found but is nonetheless illuminating the scenery around us.
"The sky is bruised", I say. My friend only nodding in response, too tired to say anything. At first glance the streets seem empty and to some extent they are, at least of human presence. There is a small patch of dry grass close by. A group of wild rabbits stop to look at us, sniffing the air. I also stop, to inspect them. They quickly render us as uninteresting creatures, or so it seems as they indifferently continue their journey towards unknown destinations. I too start moving, trying to catch up with my friend who is now way ahead of me. A shrunken figure with their back against me, in motion but radiating no energy. Motionless - is all I can think. A great contrast to the lives I had just witnessed. My friend is following a road paved specifically for humans. It is located on the left hand side of the one ment for manmade vehicles. I smirk, a strange thought occurring to me - am I not a manmade vehicle? I sprint out into the middle of the open street, crossing the white lines that separates me from them. My sprint fades. I am walking fast, but unhurried. A sense of order fills me, it is soothing. Just as I am about to catch up with my friend they stop and turn to look at me. I slow down, my gaze fixated on them, my body still moving forward. It is almost as if they are hidden in the background of a painting, a part of the picture but never quite in focus. Our eyes meet, I smile shyly. For the first time in a while I see something alive in them. It makes me happy.
"Stop! There is a sea-", a winged beast swoops down right above my head, trying to grab at me. I dodge and run to the side, seeking shelter between the trees outlining the pavement. "-gull with babies", my friend says, almost in a sigh. It takes some time to process what had just happened. I spot the feathery balls curled up next to a house only a few meters away from where I was standing. Above, I see the brave mother circling, her threatening cries filling the otherwise silent world around us. We look at each other, and then we laugh. By the time we have evaded the danger of the protective seagull, we are still laughing. No exchange of words needed. I feel as if though talking would require the creation of completely new words, for I do not possess any fitting of this moment. Although I strongly doubt it would be of any use, who could possibly understand the true meaning of these words if they were not here to experience the emotions that created them? It both saddens and intrigues me. I am convinced that I have never witnessed this city more full of life than now, vacant and hushed. The same goes for my friend, suddenly slightly more human than earlier. I would of course be holding back the truth if I did not admit that it also applies to me. Humbled, I realise that truth is very different from the world we have built for ourselves. It is now 4:30 AM, the air is still crisp and reality has never seemed more surreal.

1