tressell

Sweden

4 AM

It is 4 AM, the air is crisp and the sky has been drenched in an odd, almost lavender shade of purple. Clouds sweep the horizon, tinted slightly yellow, the sun nowhere to be seen but nonetheless illuminating the scenery around us.
"The sky is bruised", I say. My friend only nodding in response, too tired to say anything. At first glance the streets seem empty and to some extent they are, at least of human presence. On a small patch of grass next to us a group of wild rabbits stop to look at us, sniffing the air. I also stop, to inspect them. They quickly render us as uninteresting creatures, or so it seems as they indifferently continue their journey towards unknown destinations. I too start moving, trying to catch up with my friend who is now way ahead of me. A shrunken figure with their back against me, in motion but radiating no energy. Motionless - is all I can think. A great contrast to the lives I had just witnessed. My friend is following a road paved specifically for humans, located on the left hand side of the one ment for manmade vehicles. I smirk, a strange thought occurring to me - am I not a manmade vehicle? I sprint out into the middle of the street, crossing the white lines that separates me from them. Just as I catch up with my friend they stop and turn to look at me. I slow down, my gaze fixated on them, my body still moving forward. It's almost as if they're hidden in the background of a painting. Our eyes meet, I smile shyly. For the first time in a while I see something alive in them. It makes me happy. "Stop! There's a sea-", a winged beast swoops down right above my head, trying to grab at me. I dodge and run to the side, seeking shelter between the trees outlining the pavement. "-gull with babies", my friend says, almost in a sigh. It takes some time to process what had just happened. I spot the feathery balls curled up next to a house only a few meters away from where I was standing. Above, I see the brave mother circling us, her threatening cries filling the otherwise silent world around us. We look at each other, and then we laugh. By the time we have evaded the danger of the protective seagull, we are still laughing. It is now 4:30 AM, the air is still crisp and reality has never seemed more surreal.

1