Sooo cuuuttteeeee

nezi_nes

Hong Kong

Just keep swimming...in a sea of thoughts and ideas
INFJ
JUST FINISHED IB HAHAAA :DD
Check out the link to my 4th blog (i.e the only one that works) https://writingsofthedeepblue.blogspot.com/

Would this be better in a play format? Suggestions for improvement open as always :)

Like father, like daughter

10
“Daddy?”

“Mmyes Katie?”

“What are you doing now?”

“I’m pasting some spreadsheet data onto my document for work. What are you writing, my dear?”

“I’m uhh, doing the times and divide things on my notebook. I don’t like it, Daddy. I don’t like doing the times and divide because I can’t remember what 9 times anything is! And that means I can’t remember what anything divided by 9 is! Also we just learned what these are called, there’s a number on top and a number on the bottom and there’s a line between them, and it’s called uhh…..a …. ah… Oh I forgot already! We just did it today!” She huffed.

His slow smile turned into a chuckle. “Go on, I know you’ve got it in you somewhere. You’re thinking and that’s good. Do you know what it sounds like? What does the first letter start with?”

Katie’s face scrunched over, her brows a furious representation of her inner cogs whirring and clanking. “A sh… sheh… no. Shar… parsh.. bash… batch... ugh, I can’t find it, Daddy!”

“A fr…. fra…”

“Fraction!!! A fraction! Yassssssss, I got it, yay yay yay yay!” Katie proceeded to prance around while cocking her head like a pigeon, pronouncing the two syllables “FRAC-tion” with uneven pitch and loudness. She continued to do so until about ten seconds later, where she suddenly stood still and her face fell. “Daddy, are you sad that I didn’t remember it from before? Because I didn’t remember it.”

“Why for the love of potatopatota would I feel sad at you? Daddy is actually very proud that you said it by yourself, even without me saying it.” He tapped his hands twice onto his lap. “Here. Come here, Katie.” She ran up to him and adjusted herself into a comfortable position, her hair catching on the barbs of her dad's short, black beard peppered with white.

“Don’t worry, my dear. I only actually knew the times tables when I was 12, and even then I was horrible at maths. But look at what Daddy’s doing now! He's doing maths for a living! Isn’t that crazy?" A pause. "Keep trying, Katie. That’s all you gotta do. If you do that, it can take you to places you’ve never imagined.”

A “Yes, Daddy!” and the "vrrt" of clothes was followed by pitter-patters into another room. He closed his eyes and felt a kindled warmth glowing, tinged with the pain that could only come from the love for his little one. Katie Luna Emmerson: the only soul that kept him alive and sane in the world that he was so cruelly robbed of exactly six months ago.

1

• nezi_nes

Heeheeeee

• Tziporah Dorfman

I love this!! It was a really good choice to start off the piece with dialogue, because it drew me right in! You really captured the voice of the little girl and I just love the easy relationship and warm feelings that flow between the daughter and father. This is a sweet, adorable piece! The end though... Makes me SO CURIOUS!!

• CuriosityKilledTheCat

Oh dang.
    I LOVED the dialogue at the start and then the last sentence had me like "whaaaaaa".
    This is really cool!!

• nezi_nes

Okay, thanks Quille for your feedback :D also I caught up with the chapters argh. So much suspense!!

AHH! Why?? So sad :((
    I would keep it in the format it's in; it would be cool in a play format, but I think this is more emotional. (aka tear-provoking :)
    BTW, I finally got chapter 10 of Elfboy up :)

• Nonny21

Wowwwwwww!!

• nezi_nes

Hehehe.....

• Luna Lemon

Me reading this piece before the last sentence: This is so sweet! It sooo feels like a real conversation between a young girl and her father. I love the comparisons between math with the girl and her father! This is ONLY going to be a lovely piece that will make me smile all the way through it.

After Last Sentence: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THAT WAS SO GOOD AND SO CUTE AND SO SAD!!! AHHHHHH!!!!

• Gabriel Goodwin

My heartstrings are confused but in pain at the same time...This is good!!!

• aggressivebackflip

hnn

• nezi_nes

MaYbEee....??

• Johanna

more MORE more MORE will there be more? I am SOO hooked

• omicron7889

Oh this piece raises QUESTIONS. What happened to the father? Is there anyone else in the family besides them? Where did the idea of this come from? I NEED TO KNOW.