Img 4799

starlight

My name is Sydney Adkins and I'm a freshman at CMHS. I love music, food, movies, and swimming.

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

Sydney

PROMPT: All in a Name

0
When my mother went to go choose my name she turned to her favorite television show, "Little House on the Prairie", for inspiration. One of her favorite characters was Carrie Ingalls and she was played by twin actresses Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush. When my mother saw their names in the opening credits, she decided Sidney was a perfect name for her first child. Before I was born, though, she realized she didn't like how they spelled the name, so she changed the spelling to Sydney. I actually love my name except for the fact that it is extremely common. I know six other people with the name Sydney and often get mistaken for them. Another downfall of my name is the Australia jokes that people make when I first meet them. Quite a few of my substitute teachers have asked me for permission to call me Sydney Australia, to which I always agree because I don't want to seem rude. I'm called Syd quite often by my old softball and volleyball teammates, which I don't mind at all because it makes everyone's life easier. I wouldn't change my name for the world despite the Australia jokes. I feel like there is too much history behind the name to get rid of it and take a new one.