symphonyrain0812

United Arab Emirates

A bookworm at heart with a love for writing, reading, dogs, travel and friends. Music is my escape and writing is my magic. Marvel addict, guitar enthusiast and all round dog-lover.

This was a simple piece of work I quickly wrote down before starting my homework so it is very rough. All feedback is welcome :)

State of Awe

PROMPT: State of Awe

7
There was a shelf of magic in my bedroom when I was a child- a tangible row of wonder. I was in awe of the crisp swish of yellowed pages and imprinted words that suddenly illustrated a whole other world to immerse myself in. I remember waddling across my bedroom and returning with a towering stack of books before plopping ungracefully on the bed- arms and legs sprawled everywhere- requesting my mother to read. Whilst I couldn't understand at that time what the gilded letters on the shiny cover meant, I knew they were mystical and new. I knew that the musky smell that wafted out of those pages held a certain sense of home and the illustrations for me were beloved memories. I knew that books were my magic.

As my mother would clear her throat and absentmindedly pat my freshly washed hair, I would wait patiently for the magic to begin.
For as the words would float and swirl out of her mouth, a whole new world would be delicately woven around me- my whitewashed walls would merge into gargantuan forests of spruces and pines, my blue bed-sheet would swirl into a raging, thunderous ocean and my circle of stuffed animals would float away as frolicking fairies. I was seeing through new eyes and as her lilting voice continued on I remember feeling amazed at the world my imagination was painting.

It was a different feeling however from my previous memories of awe.  It was certainly not the almost belittling state of awe as I stared at the towering glistening skyscrapers. Nor was it the fresh state of awe as I felt the foam of the sea caress my toes for the first time.

No this was the encompassing state of awe of discovering a whole new world- a place that was ever so new yet still felt like home every time. The unique state of awe at the wonder of imagination. The state of awe for something as seemingly simple as books.

• November 10, 2018 - 9:59am (Now Viewing)

• Johanna

This is so beautifully woven! Love it <3

• Nonny21

This is amazingly worded, beautifully descriptive and a wonderful narrative. I relate to this so much and its beautiful how you have expressed it <3

• Dmoral

This is beautiful
    (I also write before doing homework)

• Syl

wow, i love this. definitely can connect