Peer Review by thayzq (United States)

ALL IN A NAME

By: Vani Desabhotla

PROMPT: All in a Name

What is a name? To me, a name is a form of identification, a form of distinction, and a symbol of individuality.

My name is Sarvani Krishna Desabhotla, and since a lot of people can't pronounce that, I go by Vani.

Sarvani is a Hindu name, and it is another name for the goddess of divine strength, fertility and love. Sarvani in itself means the All, universal, or complete. Vani, the name which I go by, means knowledge. Both names originate from the Sanskrit, the ancient Indian language of the Vedas and many other Hindu scriptures.

Personally, I like the name Vani better. I think it's because I've become accustomed to everyone calling me it, but I also like to think of myself as (some sort of) an intellectual, so the knowledge part really ties in well. My mom wanted to name me Sarvani, but my dad wanted something along the lines of Pragathi, or Sarada...clearly my mom won.

The thing I love about my name though, overall, is how hard it is for some people to pronounce. I thoroughly enjoy teaching someone how to pronounce my name, and it shows me who actually cares to take the time to learn the pronunciation. I've heard some really interesting pronunciations throughout my life, and they always make good stories whenever I'm talking to someone. I've been called many different nicknames, my personal favorite being vanilla.

Based off of my limited knowledge of the people that inhabit this planet, I've only met two people who share the same name as me. But, according to whitepages.com, 72 people in the United States are named Sarvani, which isn't that common either, which I guess just makes it more unique!

The piece is well written and I can relate to it.

I would want to know more about why the writer's parents chose to name her Sarvani. I would like a background story.

Great piece! I felt like you were having a conversation with me!