Image 4697 quokka

camlily

we were all put on this Earth for a reason-

make it count.

~ · ~

Sometimes inspiration can come from the darkest places. Grab life by its worn reins and give it a whirl ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you appear in my notifications, I'll be in yours.
If y'all want me to check out a piece or peer review it, let me know in the comments of one of my pieces and I'll do my best to get it done :)
I follow everyone no matter what. I always give likes back, follow back, and I try to peer review back!

Don't forget to leave a

╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱
╱╱┏╮╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱
╱╱┃┃╱╱╱┳╱┓┳╭┫┳┓
▉━╯┗━╮╱┃╱┃┣┻╮┣╱
▉┈┈┈┈┃╱┻┛┛┻╱┻┻┛
▉╮┈┈┈┃╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱
╱╰━━━╯╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱

- courtesy of SamG95

(also, feel free to add me on sc; cam_lily119)

WHAT IS HAPPENING???????

13
so.  
I'M SO FREAKING MAD RIGHT NOW!!!  CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THIS FREAKING THING IS STILL HAPPENING?? WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK.  YESTERDAY'S MASS SHOOTING WAS THE THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTH MASS SHOOTING IN 2018!!! THAT MEANS THAT THERE HAS BEEN A MASS SHOOTING ALMOST EVERY SINGLE DAY THIS YEAR. 
why is this still being allowed.  people are dying, people who have families and jobs and loved ones and LIVES.  and NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE.  NOTHING AT ALL.  what is our government doing?? please explain to me I'm sorry I just had to get this out :'( :'( I shouldn't be afraid to walk outside. We shouldn't be scared of what's going to happen to our future generations.  This needs to change, or it's just going to keep happening.  won't they realize that??

@ethereal.otherworldly, what did people use to kill each other before guns were invented? :D if we didn't have guns now, they'd use something different!

• ethereal.otherworldly

@Quille - except, love, that i just gave you statistics that proved that less guns genuinely results in a ridiculous amount of less deaths - besides, japan isn't anti-gun. after extensive procedures, you can have guns for hunting and sport. but the idea that people would be killed by something instead of arms is a wrong one - and you can't call something a "true fact" without citing any kind of evidence.
    the amount of people killed in japan of unnatural deaths in 2009 was 160,000 - in the us, it was 735,069. you can say "oh, but japan has a lower population than the us" and you'd be correct. however, even compensating for that, that's still nearly 150,000 more deaths in the us. it is an actual proven fact that making it harder for people to get guns LOWERS the rate of unnatural deaths.
    i don't mean any offense to you - i'm sure your family is lovely. but please back your comments up with facts if you are going to argue about such a terrible topic.

My family owns several guns; we use them to protect ourselves, our animals, and for harvesting animals to eat.
    And if the people weren't being shot with guns, they would be killed with something else. I'm not just saying it because i support guns, it's a true fact.

I support guns AND human lives! We should be able to keep both. It's not the guns' fault, it's not the fault of those who make guns, it's not the fault of people who allow us to have guns. It's the fault of the people who use them wrongly!
    If someone said, you're allowed to own a gun, but you're not allowed to shoot people with it, and you shot someone, whose fault would that be?

• ethereal.otherworldly

you're absolutely right! unfortunately, a large number of our politicians are paid huge sums of money by the nra to support guns, even over human lives.

• camlily

Wow- I never knew those statistics in Japan. The obvious thing, I would think, is to replicate their laws because it seems like they are doing something right. But I'm not a government official, so what do I know?

• ethereal.otherworldly

@Made4Love - the statistic that your brother stated is wildly untrue: according to a study by everytown, about 10% of shootings between 2009 and 2016 occur in "gun-free zones." the statistic that your brother cited is a claim that then president-elect donald trump quoted inaccurately. the study that led rise to that claim actually has a very narrow definition of what a mass shooting is.
    in addition, japan is a country with some of the tightest gun laws in the world. citizens are not allowed to have guns for anything other than hunting and sports shooting, for which they have to do an extremely lengthy procedure. because of this, japan has some of the lowest gun death rates in the world. it had THREE gun deaths in the entirety of 2017, in a country with more than 126.8 million people. by comparison, america had nearly 16000 that same year, when it, by contrast, should have had about nine.
    i genuinely don't mean any disrespect to you or your brother, by the way! i'm sure you're lovely people. but i'm incredibly passionate about this issue, and i really felt the need to correct some of your misconceptions.

• Made4Love

Wow, that was a really long comment. Sorry about that! But I guess I do feel passionately about this issue, too!

• Made4Love

With AminahMcBina I say, #STOPTHEVIOLENCE.
    To Valentina - that would be so scary! I'm so grateful nobody got hurt.
    I didn't even know that one happened either, Catherinely Me.
    I stand with Silver Pen: the Second Amendment defends our right to own a gun for the purpose of defending ourselves (in cases of self-defense and from the government). The founding fathers wanted to make sure the people could protect themselves from the government if need be. They didn't want what happened in Britain to happen again in America. In addition, my brother, who knows a lot of statistics, says that 98% of all mass shootings take place in gun free zones.
    And thank you camlily for writing this. 307 shootings is 307 too many! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I know we all see the tragedy in this. And you're most definitely right; we shouldn't have to have the need to protect ourselves from others.
    Like Silver Pen said, prayer is powerful. It is our most powerful weapon, and we must pray like never before for this world in which we live.
    God bless you all, and be with all families and friends affected by these shootings.

• camlily

That is a good point. It saddens me that there are people in this world who we have to feel the need to protect ourselves from.

• Silver Pen

I'm with you on saying that this is not Ok. Each one of those people had their own face, their own story, their own personality, their own talents. God my Father loved every single one of them to His Son's death. But hold with me here. Imagine a sec that you or better, one of your characters, is looking for someone to rob. Would they pick one carrying a gun, or one without a gun? The second amendment is important because it garantees us the right to have weapons TO DEFEND OURSELVES AND OTHERS. Not to harm them, purposely or through stupidity. Period. I'd rather have a gun to protect my neighbors than have to console them and pray for them after their son is senselessly killed. Prayer is powerful. It shapes history and frees us from satan's tyranny. But sometimes you encounter a problem that only a bullet can solve. Like Hitler.
    That said, I imagined having to pull the trigger on someone in self-defense once. I felt sick.

• camlily

Thank you all for your opinions!! We can stand up for what we believe is right and make a difference. Change is possible. Opinions on the flip side are welcome too ;)

• korra4life

I don't think any of us can actually understand how this can be okay

• korra4life

I feel absolutely the same! Thank you so much for having the courage to say something.
    The government continues to avoid the fact that hundreds (if not thousands at this point) are dying from these stupid guns and they refuse to create gun restrictions or try to stop this. I don't care if the government earns a lot of money from the NRA. Too many lives have been lost. Are we worthless? Don't we matter?
    And then these stupid adults who are voting and who have the power to try to change things refuse to even try! I don't even want to really get into this because of how frustrated it makes me. It's so annoying how the government has such a blatant disregard for the lives lost in these shootings. I'm really sorry for everyone who's lost someone

• valentina

Yesterday gunshots were fired at a park a five minutes walk from my house, a place I regularly go, with friends, with family, sometimes even alone. It happened at 3pm-I sometimes walk home from school at around that time through the park.

Nobody was killed or injured in my case, but they COULD HAVE BEEN. It wasn't a tragedy, but it could have been.

It can happen at anytime; that's something I've learned in the past year. 307. What makes people think that's okay? What makes people think the right to carry a gun is more important than actual LIFE ITSELF? I'm with you-I don't understand, and I don't think I ever will.

• green.eyes.gurl

Wait. There was one yesterday? I'M SO UNEDUCATED WHAT HAPPENED!!! I heard about the synagogue but wasn't that last week? WHAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY!?!?!?!?

• ethereal.otherworldly

oh yeah. it's cause all our government wants to do is take money from the nra and refuse to institute any gun laws because all they're willing to give are "thoughts and prayers"

• janice

Lots of my relatives live in Philadelphia and are Jewish, and when I heard about the shooting there I freaked. Luckily, none of them were hurt, though other people were.

• PineappleGirl

You are so right. Also I admire you for actually saying this.

• CreativeAngel

Well one thing for sure, not everyone has the calm peace you have and not everyone has the same life. I understand your thinking. This needs to stop.

• AminahMcBina

IKR?! It's unbelievable!!! #STOPTHEVIOLENCE