betsyy05

Absolutely Lucky

What would happen if something big, something massive changed your world in another perspective? 
I, Kenna Simpkins was never lucky. Ever. I always forgot my homework, woke up late for school, and even cracked my glasses once a week. I never had friends. Everyone stands at least a foot away from me, scared for getting the “bad luck’s curse.” I was different. I was different in another way from anybody else. I was lucky, just in a bad way. 
One thing I concluded about my life is that it was very depressing. Every day I came to school with no one to greet me. Nobody ate lunch with me. I dreaded the feeling of my heart beating, having nowhere to sit. Then, I would find an empty lunch table, and eat my banana-peanut butter sandwich. All alone. Books were like a best friend to me. They were an escape to a horrible world I lived in. I could travel to wonderful, and magical places. I only wanted something lucky to happen to me. Anything would work. I needed something. 
             I continued to achieve what I had wanted most. I kept struggling for some achievement to make me happy. I really aspired to become someone that would change the world. Like Martin Luther King, Mahatma Ghandi, Malala Ysoufazi, and many more. They could change the world, despite circumstances in their country, and no matter what race. I wanted to be like them, but I never had enough motivation. I had to try. 
Speeches about school were held this week. Basically, anyone that was confident could audition, and stand up in front of thousands of people. They could talk about changing the world, to fixing the water fountains at school. Basically, all the passion that bubbled inside could be let out through words and emotions. I knew something very important. I needed to use words to inspire, not manipulate. I needed this opportunity to let out all I wanted to say. And so, the adventure began. 
I practiced day and night. Deciding on my topic. My topic would be an attention grabber. I didn’t want to be that one speech that made everyone yawn. I wanted the speech that made everyone sit on the edge of their seat as they listened intently, eyes wide. That’s what I wanted. I knew it was too much, but I had to practice. I had to achieve the dream I wanted. 
I mostly practiced in front of my mirror. Nothing would stop me this time. Everything let me down. School, friends, and my entire life. I wasn’t going to let that be in the way. I was going to get up on that stage, and talk until it sunk deep within their heads. I was going to do this. My heart soared with happiness as I thought about it in bed. 
The day was coming tomorrow. I saw flyers all around school. COME TO THE SPRING SPEECH CONTEST! THEME: THE CHANGE IN THE WORLD. It read. There were three contest winners. Third place got $25, Second place got $50, and first place got $100 dollars, and a trip to Washington D.C. The biggest news around school was the speech contest.  
6:00 PM, the stars are out, sort of windy day. Sweat was producing on my hands and back. Prickles crept up my neck. I wore my best dress, and heels. I plastered on a fake smile and headed into the auditorium. Thousands of people were seated in, ready for the big show to start. About fifty people had auditioned. 
“Kenna Simpkins, Please come onto the stage!” shouted the principal, Mrs. Winthrop. I got up on stage, fingers trembling. I stepped onto a stool, and looked out over the crowd. Their eyes were focused onto me. Me. I said my speech. It went like this: 
“Hello everybody. Let me start of with a question. What matters to you the most? Is it your family, friends, food, what is it? To me, it is the world. Actually, no. It is the ability to change the world. Now, I love many things, but the world is one of my favorites. Why? Because the changing the world is something we all aspire to do. But when we actually do it, It may seem tough. By changing the world, I mean changing problems that we have faced for many years. Global warming. Pollution. Hunger. There are so many other problems I can name, but I won’t. Today at school, I expected people to care about those matters, but it seems like they don’t. This generation is all over their phones, which phones are a good thing, but can be a bad thing as well. The whole moral of this speech is to be inspired, and make the greatest achievement you desire. Change the world. In a good way. Thank you.” 
Silence. Did they like my speech? As if on cue, the entire crowd stood up and applauded loudly, with smiles on their faces. I knew I had won the audience’s heart. Maybe I really did inspire them. 
After all the speeches were made, the winners were announced by Mrs. Winthrop 
“Third Place is... Mya Lu! Second Place is... Thomas Avendano! First Place is... Rachel Munson!  
My heart sank with sadness. I worked so hard on the speech.  
“And... We have another first place winner! Congratulations... Kenna Simpkins! 
The crowd roared with approval as the names were announced. I won. I won this whole competition. I inspired everyone with my words. Mrs. Winthrop handed me a $100 dollar check, and a trip to Washington D.C. I knew one thing about my life. It was pretty bad, but I was lucky today. Just once. It will probably never happen again, but I savored each wonderful moment of this.