Screen shot 2018 11 21 at 1.58.19 pm

Misfit

I'm from Chicago and I go to school at the circle of hell Dante didn't discover. I adore books, and I hope my appetite for them is never satisfied. INFP-T

You guys are probably getting a bit annoyed by now, but I tried revising this to make it better.

Elephant Toothpaste

Alice Currie bit her lip and tried her best to keep from tapping her foot as Mrs.Blois's keen eyes scanned her coffee- stained resume. She knew her recommendations had been glowing, and her degrees numerous. But all the recommendations, diplomas, and coffee stains couldn't cover the incident. Alice knew that.  Mrs. Blois's eyes narrowed as she reached the bottom of the fifth page of the paper, and Alice's gut squeezed. A numb pang shot through her as she knew she'd get another no. Mrs. Blois looked at Alice, sizing her up. "Hmm." She rested her chin on her index finger and turned to her computer, fingers flying on the keyboard for what seemed like eternity to Alice. Sweat began to appear on her brow. Finally, she turned towards Alice and asked, "Is it true a student got burned in a science experiment?" It was a short question that demanded a complicated answer.

"You want to turn on your Bunsen burners, and control the flame." Ms. Currie sighed. She was teaching at St.Michael the Archangel Academy, where parents could pay the $20,000 tuition a billion times over and could care less about their children respecting their elders. Five minutes after the bell rang, Harper Preston swung the door open and sashayed to her desk, chomping on gum.

"Harper, this the seventh time you've been more than ten minutes late to class, and the second time you're getting a detention." Ms. Currie pointed to the box of hair nets." Go and get one."

Harper sneered at Ms. Currie and flipped her hair in the air-right through a Bunsen burner.

The students themselves testified in Ms. Currie's defense, but it was Harper's family who had more money. Ms. Currie was fired.
    Ms. Blois pressed her lips together."From what I can understand, this wasn't negligence on your part."

Alice began to relax a bit. Someone who understood!

"But, this could be bad publicity." Ms. Blois stated.

Alice's smile faltered. "No publicity is bad publicity, right?" she squeaked.

The interview was over. Alice trudged back to her car, and drove to the next school.

A week later, Alice was startled to see an email from Mrs.Blois that simply said," You start next week. The labratory is yours to set up."

The student's crowded around the table, chattering about what she'd do. They'd been waiting for their teacher for a while, but that didn't bother them. Their thoughts, fueled by anticipation, were enough to entertain them. That, and guessing about the strange liquids Ms. Currie had on her Imagistation.

The Imagistation, a wide office cart, was covered with flasks and gradual cylinders brimming and foaming with brightly hued potions and muddy concoctions. Kids peered through their goggles at the round flask filled with a clear "fluid". (They were a bit unsure.) The liquid was dotted with multiple holes like it was poked into multiple times. Some wrinkled their noses at a cloudy, gray sludge fermenting out of another flask. It oozed -almost seemed to crawl-out and plopped onto the countertop, fizzing and hissing, and gradually solidified.

Suddenly, the double doors opened. "Hello, children!" Ms.Currie said, with her pristine lab coat flowing behind her like a robe.

"Today," she said, brandishing her plastic stirring rod like a wand and silencing the class, "we will make elephant toothpaste!"

Everyone's hands shot up in the sky l as memories of elephant toothpaste sprouted in their heads. A  kid asked, "Why is it called elephant toothpaste?"

Ms.Currie answered."Well, for no other reason than it looks like toothpaste that an elephant would use."

The boy thought for a moment."Guess that makes sense."
    Ms. Currie sighed," Yeah. Pretty simple reason."
    "Anyways, let's get started! Everyone, to the front!" The children scrambled.
    Ms. Currie started placing her materials on her Imagistation. The students had instructions on their desks with the ingredients:
  • 16-ounce plastic soda bottle
  • 1/2 cup 20 -volume hydrogen peroxide liquid
  • 1 Tablespoon of yeast
  • 3 Tablespoons of warm water
  • Liquid dishwashing soap
  • Food coloring
  • Small cup
  • Safety goggles
    "Safety is number one priority,"  said Ms. Currie in a  Russian accent. The class chuckled and put on their goggles.
"And now, for our activator, " she said, shaking the bottle. She opened it up and beamed at the acrid liquid. "As you probably smelled already, this bottle has hydrogen peroxide inside. This is the fountain of life for our creation." The children waved their hands in front of their noses as she poured the hydrogen peroxide in her flask.

Ms. Currie pulled out daffodil-colored dish soap and squirted- "Just a squirt, not a flood," she said, wagging her finger-  some in. She then dropped in some crimson food coloring." A drop of red." she whispered. The crimson blossomed into clouds,  forming a rich orange.

"The missing piece of our puzzle, children, is the yeast. This holds the entire project together." Ms.Currie held the packet of yeast up, so all could see. She slowly poured it in a cup of warm water and tapped the bag to get all the yeast in. She let it rest for a moment and looked at the class," Everyone, I want you to take several steps backward. Now." she demanded. Her voice was soft, but her intention loud and clear. She didn't want any of her students to be hurt, or worse. The class scrambled back a few steps "Careful, careful! Be mindful of each other!" 

When her class was five feet away from the elephant toothpaste, she took the cup of now-fermented yeast, poured it in, and sprang back to the wall. The elephant toothpaste erupted into the air, almost touching the ceiling. Ms. Currie gazed at the orange flash, her creation from her cauldron, with her jaw dropped. She slowly pushed up her goggles and strode to the flask as if it were a bomb. She looked at the foam, covering the table and dripping off it. A grin broke out on her face. Feelings of happiness and relief, but mostly triumph swelled within her.