Dsc 3077

Victoria Penning

b-day is Jan 1st
17
11 siblings
airsofter
writer
baker
coffee drinker
fangirl of Keeper of the Lost Cities
a goof
town & country girl
Author of Evidence for Angels
Jesus loves you, and I do too.

I've been working on this book for about two years, and just finished a couple weeks ago. I saw that the competition was a novel writing contest, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm not sure if entering something I've already written is allowed, if not, oh well. It won't bother me to much if I don't win anything. :)

Evidence for Angels

“I said get your **** over here!”
Abbie flinched as her father screamed at her from across the lawn. She trudged back from the mailbox, dreading what she was about to do. Again. She reached the front door and braced herself for the blow. He raised his arm and it flew toward her face. She jumped back as it swung across her face, then flew forward and jumped around him. She wrapped her arm around his neck with his throat in the crook of her elbow, and held him for about three seconds. He crumpled to the ground. Abbie gave a sigh and started the process of dragging him to his bed. After she rolled his body into the bed, she headed for the bathroom to inspect the cut he had given her several days ago. It was beside her left eye, running from her eyebrow, through her temple to her cheek bone. She had asked her friends mom to cut her bangs for her to hide it. As she stood there staring at her reflection, she thought about her life, and about other peoples.
    ‘I bet Carly doesn’t have such a bad life.’  
Her bitter thoughts came out on her face, and her expression twisted into a grim face as if she had just sucked a lemon. Tears started to prickle in the corners of her eyes. She blinked, scolding herself.
    ‘Come on Abbie, your tougher than this.’
She turned the faucet on, filled her hands full of cold water, and dunked her face in. She looked back up the mirror. Her face dripping wet. She rung her bangs out and dried her face, leaving no evidence of the tears that had threatened her eyes moments ago. The front door slammed. She took a deep breath and marched out of the bathroom, ready to face the wrath of her mother.
     “Abbie Grant! You stupid girl!” Abbie grit her teeth at the sound of her mother’s shrill voice. The smell of alcohol and cigarette smoke drifted down the dingy hallway, making her gag. Her mother had been out with her girlfriends again. Abbie entered the kitchen.
   “Darn girl! You should’ve had dinner on the stove! I told you to get your chores done, and you’ve done nothing! Lazy, ungrateful girl!”
Anger burned in Abbie’s chest. She was about to match her mother’s tone when her father stumbled in.
    “Need….”
He muttered the rest under his breath. But Abbie was so well acquainted with the scene that she didn’t need to know what he said. Her father tripped and tottered to the fridge, pulled out a beer, and headed back for his room. Her mother did the same. Abbie sighed. They would be out for the rest of the night. It was her free time. She grabbed her denim jacket and slipped out the door. She wandered down the sidewalk, away from her house, passing various alleyways. She slipped into one, cutting across the block to Carly’s house. She kicked a can away from her as the anger about her parents grew.
   Lost in thought, she didn’t notice the three men slip in behind her. A hand slid around her waist, and another slammed onto her mouth.
    “Mm!”
    “Shh. You want to get away from your parents? Well, now’s your chance.”
  Before she could try to scream, an arm wrapped around her throat and cut off her blood flow. And she passed out, just the same as her father.
    She tried to stay awake, but nothing worked. One last thought slipped into her mind as the world went dark. 
     ‘Why me?’

She woke up in a ginormous bed in a green bedroom. Light filtered through a large window and brightened up the sunny looking room. An older woman sat by the bed with a washcloth and a bowl of water. She was reading a book when Abbie awoke. Even though the room was bright and cheerful, darkness, anger and terror filled Abbie. She scrambled out of the bed, and backed against the wall. The woman’s head snapped up at her sudden movement.
    “It’s okay, it’s okay. Don’t worry. You’re safe.”
Abbie grabbed a book from the side table and held it like a weapon.
    “Stay away from me.”
Her voice cracked with dryness. The old woman held up her hands.
    “It’s okay; I’m not going to hurt you. I just want to take care of you.”
The book dipped slightly at her words, but then snapped back up again.
    “What do you want with me? Why did they give me to you?”
   “What? Who? Who gave you to me? Are you in some kind of trouble?”
The woman began to round the bed. Abbie raised the book even more.
    “I said stay away!”
She screamed. Footsteps came from outside the door. A man poked his head in, looked at the older woman, and jerked his head the opposite way. The woman turned back to Abbie.
    “It’s okay. Why don’t you sit down and rest. I’ll go get some water. I don’t want to hurt you.”
She gave Abbie a motherly look then left the room. At first, Abbie wasn’t sure what to do. She backed away from the bed and slid in between the bedside table and the wall and pulled her knees up to her chin, hiding in the dark corner. She brushed the tears away from her face and tried to remember what had happened. All she could remember was the three men dragging her out of a van and into an alley, and beating her up. She remembered them leaving, but she couldn’t think of anything else. She glanced down at what she was wearing, and bit her lip. Her jeans were ripped in several places, and her shirt was ripped as well. Blood stained her hands and the front of her shirt though. Horror streaked through her. Was it hers, or someone else’s? She shivered. What had happened? 

• korra4life

Ohhh! Yea... I don't really do that either. I kind of just float around until I see something interesting. XD

• Victoria Penning

I know how you feel. ;D Um... I was scrolling down through the dashboard and saw that you had published something and I thought it looked good,so I popped by to read it. I don't do that very often. I usually just go to the people I follow and look to see if they've posted anything new. XD
    I agree completely. :D

• korra4life

It's fine! You don't understand how happy I am. I've been at a steady streak of 1 like per week for the past 2 months even though I'm constantly writing. I don't really mind because I'm one of those hidden writers who has a few followers and works (I love my 30 followers though). I'm honestly surprised and kind of confused as to how you found me but... I won't ask questions.
    Getting a ton of likes and comments is a blessing from God

• Victoria Penning

Haha! Sorry! XD

• korra4life

I can tell! I've been trying to catch up with your speeds as you comment and like but every time I add a comment to respond, there are 5 more likes and comments on other pieces, XD. I feel so out of breath :P

• Victoria Penning

Hi korra4life!!! You're welcome! I've really enjoyed reading your stuff! :D I'm not to concerned about what I want reviewed. If you find something interesting you want to review, go for it! :D I love it when I find other Christians in here, so when I found you I got pretty excited. ;) :D

• korra4life

Hiya! Thanks for your follow and comments! I was just looking through your page for something to read and review but I'm not sure where to start. I doubt I can catch up with this series that you've written but it sounds interesting.
    If you want, you can tell me what pieces you would like me to read and (perhaps) review. I really don't mind. Plus, it's great to see another Christian on the site!

• Victoria Penning

INVISIBL3, thanks so much!!!! I think you are my biggest supporter! :D

• INVISIBL3

XD This is such a great book

• Victoria Penning

Anna Krekelberg, I think you're right. I've read this several times and it just doesn't seem right. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about since I already submitted it. :/ It does sound better in the actual book, but you're right, it does need some work. Thanks for commenting. :)

• Anna Krekelberg

I think you maybe need to include a little bit more. It's good to create suspense, but I think a few more facts are needed at the end to finish the story. The story doesn't sound finished.

• Victoria Penning

Hahaha!!!!! XD I promise you'll get more soon. :) ......... Once the book comes out, that is. ;P I will say, I think you are my most......... How do I say this.... In love, reader. XD

• Mary Wall

*sighs happily*

• paperbird

Oh okay, I gotcha :)

• Victoria Penning

Oh I'm sure it's okay, but I don't swear. This is in my original book, and it will be in there when it is published. :D

• paperbird

I think it's okay to swear on this website. It's a teen site, after all.