janice

ATTENTION PEOPLE OF WRITE THE WORLD

17
As I'm sure many of you know, beloved friend and fellow writer SomeFormOfWriting is leaving this site because of all the censoring. I doubt there is one person reading this who has not had a piece taken down due to 'offensive content' and will not have a piece taken down in the future. I understand why these rules are here--this is a site for teenagers, and pieces endorsing drugs, suicide, and becoming a serial killer are no-nos. HOWEVER, these rules are endorsed to the point of being ridiculous. I once had a piece taken down for mentioning this: "And now I'm about to kill myself for it." Really? Was this necessary? True, the world and its problems are a dangerous place, but shielding us from those problems will only make things worse, both for ourselves and our world. I believe that pieces that discriminate, whether it be race, religion, or otherwise, and pieces that endorse suicide and drugs are wrong and should not be published. However, mentioning suicide, 'violence', and/or self-harm SHOULD NOT be forbidden, but rather recognized as wrong but also a part of life. 

If you agree with me, leave a comment or like. I was annoyed by the censoring, and SomeFormOfWriting leaving is the final straw for me. I hope that the WtW admin sees this piece in the hopes of change for the better. Write on, my friends, despite anything that comes in your way.
This piece is dedicated to SomeFormOfWriting. 

• _TJNR@cheshire_

I totally agree, we all have to do something about this. I personally haven't had a piece taken down yet, but that does not change how absurd this all is! Writing comes from the heart, they can't just go and say that our emotions are wrong and that we can't express ourselves! I do understand that some things aren't appropriate but they have taken this way too far. People can't write freely anymore and isn't that why this site was created?
    Thank you for sharing the matter with everyone, hopefully, we will get the message across soon. xxx :)

• ethereal.otherworldly

absolutely! i've had many of my pieces taken down - for cursing, sexually suggestive content, extremely mild IMPLICATIONS of suicide, and, what affected me the most, three poems that i wrote to help me recover from my sexual assault. it's insane.

• Silver Pen

THese things are real, and our writing can bring real solutions. It's like sneaking cold medicine into a smoothie. I don't think I want to get involved in this right now, I could change my miind, I don't know, but I do know that people need these solutions, and WtW could be a place where people could find those solutions.
    Writing, even fiction, can make the world a better place.
    Wait, what am I saying? Jesus taught in parables, and what is a parable? Fiction!

• PineappleGirl

I agree so much.

• Mangolover

I'm just simply going to say: "I agree."

• janice

@ALanhford I agree with you, but some things can't be pushed to the point of being ridiculous.

• ALangford

i think that amongst this we need to remember to express how grateful we are for the opportunities we have received from the site. yes, ideally things would be reformed to consider the diversity of expression of mental health and suicidal thoughts - however, overall we need to continue to appreciate the hard work of wtw admins & everything they organise for our utility & enjoyment

• green.eyes.gurl

Ya know what we should do? We should have a lot of people write in whatever style he/she is best at about the censorship and SomeFormOfWriting, and send WtW an email with the links to all of the pieces, saying that we would appreciate for them to take a look at some of them.

• janice

@Paperbird thank you so much, I'll help however I can, because this needs to stop

• paperbird

Yeah, it's a good idea. I'm kind of reluctant to complain a lot to Write the World right now because we're obviously doing the petition, which we're going to send to them really soon, and I feel like that's enough advocacy for change from CWC for now at least. But yeah, I think this is definitely going to be revisited on CWC.

• janice

@Paperbird and RainAndSonder maybe you could do something with the CWC because that would get more popularity

• paperbird

Yes, I completely agree! I've had two pieces taken down and it's ridiculous! We definitely need some censorship, but WtW has complete control. I agree with RAS; you should contact them about it.

You should reach out to them about it! I plan to email them or contact them or something, because it’s really gotten out of hand.