alabaanna

Nigeria

We write not because we have to, but because we want to. We expect people to drop what they're doing and spend precious time reveling in our words. I don't know about you, but to me writing is one of the most courageous and cocky tasks out there.

​A Father’s Courage

JFK is saying that courage is doing what you believe needs to be done, regardless of how it looks to bystanders and how it feels to do it.

I have deep respect for my father’s courage. After the untimely death of my mother, he left. I was four, and I had three younger siblings. He handed the newborn over to our grandma, dropped the rest of us over at our uncle’s family, and walked away. I wasn’t old enough to question his reasoning, nor did I particularly care. I had bigger things to worry about; siblings to cry with and take care of. My father displays that courage needed to make those hard choices and follow through with them. As I grew older, I understood. He did not have the means to take care of four babies, while working to earn for us. He did not want to leave his children at home to be taken care of by random nannies. Instead, he took us to family, so we could receive the love and care he would not be able to provide. He visited us often, trying to have a role in our lives despite the loss and pain he was experiencing. Surely, he was criticized heavily for his choice. It must have seemed like he had no love for his children. He put his foot down and worked hard so that he would be able to provide for us and be with us. He eventually succeeded in finding that balance. We moved back in with him after five years of visiting. We were older. We were wiser. And we understood. Sometimes, it takes courage to step away from the ones you love, when you know you cannot love them the way they deserve.

• November 1, 2018 - 11:12am (Now Viewing)

• Livi Swenka

This is so touching! Amazing writing, too.

• asthab123

This is amazing!!