Quille

"Serve the Lord with gladness; come before his presence singing."
Psalm 100:2

18yo Christian Fantasy writer.

Profile pic is my own artwork

I agree with Opposition :)

DEBATING THE MESSAGING SYSTEM

8
ANNOUNCER: "And tonight we have a debate on the issue of a messaging system on WtW. Advocating for said system we have A. Advocate. Opposing, we have O. Opposition.
These two speakers will now debate this question: Should WtW have a personal messaging system on their website?
Ladies and gentleman, I present to you A. Advocate who will open this debate."

ADVOCATE: "Thank you very much. I am in full favor of a messaging system on WtW. It will make personal communications between writers much easier and allow for friendly chats about pieces. It will help bring writers together and help them give each other feedback through better relationships. It will be a great, great improvement on the site and make it much more like other social media as well."

ANNOUNCER: "Thank you, Advocate. Now we have Opposition, which will now present their case against a messaging system."

OPPOSITION: "Good evening, everybody. I obviously oppose the idea of a messaging system on WtW. These are reasons:
  • It is unnecessary. Using the comments, or a review, two or more people can easily communicate.
  • It will inevitably take away from the WtW website by making it a spot where young writers simply come to hang out and chit-chat instead of reviewing the work of other writers or writing pieces of their own.
  • It is also less social than the current commenting system; only two people can talk at a time. Three or more can have a conversation through comments.
  • Not having a messaging system is safer. Through a messaging system, criminals pretending to be honest members of this site might be able to obtain information such as email, home address, phone numbers, or other information they can use in harmful ways.
In conclusion, while a messaging system might make it easier for some of us to communicate, it is not necessary or a good idea to have. Thank you."

ANNOUNCER: "That's it for now, ladies and gentlemen, there will be more of the debate posted later, however you may get involved in it yourself by posting a comment below."

• November 3, 2018 - 11:18am (Now Viewing)

• Made4Love

This is a very creative way to express the pros and cons of both sides! And while I would like a messaging system, I understand the risks and difficulties of having it.
    That idea of a "message to writer" is a good idea; I like it!
    I woul love to hear more about the debate! Thanks for writing!

BTW, I LOVE debate!!!

Wow! Thank you for that! Very uplifting, as well as helpful to the debate. As for the collaboration, one reason I decided not to do it is because my mom said it could have serious legal ramifications because we wouldn't be able to split the royalties very well :(
    Thank you agin for this!

• Silver Pen

This is a really good way to present both viewpoints! I think you'd probably make a good debater yourself; your arguments are clear, logical, and fairly well organized. You did a good job of editing too,
    As I think about it, I find myself siding more with Opposition. This place right now is pretty safe. If a messaging system would risk part of what makes WtW so special, at least to me, than let's just use the comments like we have been doing. On the other hand, it doesn't seem easy to collaborate with someone on this site, which sucks. I've been wanting to try coauthoring for a goodish bit now, only there's no way to secretly communicate so your story comes as a surprise. (That said, @Quille, don't feel too bad about not being able to do the collaboration with me. I know life can be disappointing and burst your dreams sometimes. What do you think happened to George Washington at Valley Forge, having to watch his men suffer for a whole stinking winter? But the disappointment is what sifts the average from the great. Keep trying! You can do it!)
    As I was saying, we could do with a better way to collaborate. I like Quille's "message to writer" idea. An idea of mine would be so that the person who sent the message and the person they sent it to could comment on the message, enabling a mush smoother conversation where you can see what you said or what you were talking about if you forgot:) Also, yeah, it would be nice to have a way to be notified if someone replied to your comment. I'm not sure if that's feasible as far as software goes, I'm not a tech person. On the other hand, I reply to others by posting a comment on one of their pieces. That way, I know they'll see it.

I'm very glad to hear that :D I hope your collaboration goes really well!
    Thanks for telling me :)
    -Quille

• AminahMcBina

Hey @Quille
    I just wanted to inform you, that I have tried your idea of making a piece, specifically for someone to comment on. I actually did this a little before you suggested, but I just wanted to let you know that it actually worked out. :)

-Mina

@Kahasai, I always try to respond to comments, but I seriously agree that we need something on here that will notify us when others respond to messages :D BTW I will be publishing the next piece of this debate soon.

• Kahasai

Don't worry about it. :) I totally understand typing fast, hitting the publish button, and missing a typo. Thanks for responding.

@Kahasai, sorry I spelled your name wrong in the previous comment :) I was typing really fast :)

@Kahasi totally love your idea about notifications to a response to a comment, I think that would be way better than both a messaging system and the current comment system. Thank you! :D

• Kahasai

I'd comment on a lot more pieces if I didn't have to check the piece to see if I got a response. :/

• Kahasai

I agree with both sides. There has to be an improvement, but there has to be limitations. Simply by making it so that I'm notified when a user responds to my comment would make me so much happier. I don't really care about having private conversations (I'm talking to strangers anyways, so I'm only telling you what I'd tell everyone else on this site, no offense) and while I may get more attached to some of you, I'm never going to get so attached to you I reveal my dark and slimy secrets. :) That would require a few days spent with you IRL.

@AminahMcBina, I will post my ideas for collaboration on your page. Thanks again!

I definitely agree that there should be some sort of better way to communicate. An idea for that I came up with was to have a spot on the profile page (preferably under 'message from the writer') where you can write a 'message to the writer'.
    I really appreciate you guys adding to this debate.

• AminahMcBina

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Maybe they should set it up where a user (for more than 2 weeks; who actually posts, reviews, comments, etc.) can only message another user. Like, maybe you can click the writer's name, and send them a private message?

Sure! I'd love to hear your ideas!

• paperbird

I agree with the opposer's viewpoint; messaging could create a slippy slope towards WtW being a social platform and plenty of people could misuse the system. However, I do think that there are improvements to be made to the current communication system. I wish writers could post announcements without having to publish pieces. There are definitely improvements to be made either way.

But if people are pretending, and let's assume they're good at it, how will anyone be able to report it?
    Thank you for being the first to join this debate :)

I have some ideas for collaborating if you would like to here them...

• AminahMcBina

Opposition bought really good proof, but I'm still in favor of a messaging system. Another user and I have recently started collaborating. However, we both don't like the fact that our conversation is public. We had an idea to make a certain free writing piece on WtW (Which was to be a surprise), but we can't effectively communicate those ideas because its public. Unless we learn to speak in codes? lol.

I agree with Opposition, but I also think that maybe the messaging system should be limited to no more than two people. If the messaging gets out of hand and 'criminals pretending to be honest members ' misuse the system, then there should be a contacting system to report this.