Cozy books

Lola Mae

An Open Letter to Everyone

2
Dear Everybody,

Someday, I hope you learn what it feels like to love. I hope you learn how to dance with no music. I hope you learn to cry of pure joy. I hope you learn to express yourself in productive ways. I hope you learn to look in the mirror and be proud of the person you see there. I hope you learn to live almost exclusively outside of your comfort zone. I hope you learn to find beauty in sadness, life in death, and new beginnings in every end. I hope you learn that it's okay to cry, it's okay to hug, to kiss, to admit feelings, to need someone sometimes. I hope you learn that sometimes the people you love are all you have, and they deserve to feel appreciated. I hope you learn never to go to bed or to work or anywhere in the middle of an angry argument, because life and death are utterly unpredictable and last words should be words of love or at least acceptance. I hope you learn that it's the people who are different from you that will stimulate your mind and challenge you to be something better. I hope you learn that we are all more alike than we are different, and we all deserve the same reverence and respect. I hope you learn that more time does not always mean better quality of being. I hope you learn that everyone's voice deserves to be heard. I hope you learn that the more new things you are willing to try, the more knowledgeable and enlightened a person you will become. I hope you learn that straight A's in school can never replace new and varied experiences. I hope you learn that having a "perfect" life is not the same as having a happy life. I hope you learn that money and privilege are worthless and pointless until shared. I hope you learn that discontentedness is the product of greed and self-entitledment and contentedness comes from making lemonade even of life's most bitter lemons. Most of all, I hope you learn that you are what you make yourself to be, and it's optimism and hard work that changes the world.

Some lessons come easily and others take more time, more trial and error, more pain. But I sincerely hope that you can enjoy the life that teaches them as the limitless adventure it is, and learn them with joy and an open heart and mind.

Love,
Lola Mae, the girl who wanted to learn

1

• engi_aek

I love this so much. I want to live like this, and be that person. It's hard to live in the moment like that, isn't it? This whole piece is beautiful, I honestly can't describe it. It really described my everyday struggle of trying to be the best I can and be happy. And thank you for commenting on my piece; it meant a lot! xxx