meganswygert

The Royal Tenenbaums

0
Megan Swygert
World Literature
Bradford
    The Royal Tenenbaums, to some, may seem like director Wes Anderson’s best work, others may feel it is lacking in an exciting plot. Anderson’s film brings comedy into a somber and broken family’s story while getting the viewer emotionally affixed to the characters. Gene Hackman won a Golden Globe for his performance as Royal Tenenbaum, the father and protagonist of the film.
    The Royal Tenenbaums tells the tale of Royal, a broke, separated, father of three who loses his home due to his inability to pay rent. When he realizes his estranged wife won’t let him return to his family, he fabricates a lie about his two months to live due to stomach cancer. Upon hearing of their father’s illness, the children return to the Tenenbaum household. Chas Tenenbaum, played by Ben Stiller, has been in international finance since he was a young boy. He resents his father and has sued him twice, while always being cautious for his children’s safety after his wife died in a plane accident. Gwyneth Paltrow played Margot Tenenbaum, the adopted daughter of Royal and Etheline. She is a playwright and keeps to herself. Her secretiveness adds a playful element to the plot of the story. Margot is closest to her other brother, Richie Tenenbaum, performed by Luke Wilson. Richie is a tennis prodigy and is secretly in love with Margot. The children have all been considered geniuses since youth, while their mother raised them on her own.
    The various contributing factors that were used in the making of this picture make it the masterpiece it is. Anderson is known for his unique use of color schemes, and this movie is no different. The yellow and orange undertones bring a sense of joy to each scene. The music scoring also plays a key role in each moment, and Wes’ team crafted a beautifully made movie.
    Wes Anderson brilliantly delivers the message about the importance of family. While Anderson brings an intenseness to some scenes, he manages to keep the comedy in play and make the viewer feel relaxed and attached at the same time. Although the main topic of the film is family, this isn’t necessarily a family movie. There are elements of romance and violence throughout the movie and it isn’t for younger kids. The Royal Tenenbaums is a truly fantastic and humorous motion picture and one of Wes Anderson’s greatest projects.