Fd22aa4d 2798 48c8 87d1 e21418fff502

Corner Writing Club

"Feedback is the breakfast of champions."
-Frank A. Clark

Reviewing assignments coming soon!

How to Be a Good Write the Worldarian *dabs a forth time*

16
Write the World is a friendly community that is clearly valuable to each person in the club as well as each member of this site.  I'd say its frequent members as well as its more rare users do an excellent job of holding it up.  Everybody here is super nice and supportive of one another's writing.
Today, we're going to give tips on how to be even more supportive (if possible), how to give yourself a good web image, and overall how to be a Write the Worldarian...

...like a boss *dabs.*  Actually now that I write that it really doesn't sound right, does it?

Okay, ANYWAYS.

1.  GIVE YOURSELF A PROFILE PIC/BIO/MSG TO WRITERS.  This is fairly basic, but to those of you that intend to have a commitment to WtW, make sure you give yourself a bio, a profile photo, and a message to writers.  This distinguishes you from the sea of blank users with gray eyes as their pictures.  I personally am more inclined to follow and read the work of people who have taken the time to distinguish themselves.
Of the three things I've mentioned, I'd say profile photos are probably most important (bio being second).  Profile photos are what we instantly see on the dashboard whenever you publish, like, or review something.

2. READ WORK ALL THE WAY THROUGH.  It's weirdly tempting to like something without reading it fully for the sake of laziness or whatever, but this being a website where we give and seek feedback, it's really important to carefully read everything!  If you work really hard on something, you'll definitely want people to read it thoroughly, so make sure you do the same to others.

3. DO NOT GIVE MEANINGLESS FOLLOWS.  I can't tell you the number of times I've had one singular notification and it is, "____ is following you."  The person in question has given no indication that they've read any of my work.  Often people follow their own followers without reading anything by them.  I know this might seem like a nice gesture, but please do not do it!  I find it extremely dispiriting when someone meaninglessly follows me on a site where I am searching for support because of my writing.  Make sure you're reading people's work!

4. REVIEW FOR THE SAKE OF REVIEWING, NOT FOR THE SAKE OF LOOKING LIKE YOU'RE REVIEWING.
I also can't tell you the number of times an almost blank review has popped up on the dashboard that has zero highlights and a few hastily-written review comments.  Why review at all if you're not going to put effort into it?
Think of this like a treat-others-the-way-you'd-want-to-be-treated system.  Most of us want detailed, specific feedback on our work.  If you want people to give you stuff like that, give them stuff like that!  The system only works if you're as committed to helping people as you are to your own improvement.  Please review, and please care about the piece you're reviewing enough to want the best for it.  This site runs on writing feedback!  Contribute.
("Write the Worldarian" is a phrase I just came up with, and already I'm going to use it in every single piece ever.)
Find our tips on commenting here, reviewing here, and entering a contest here.

• Tziporah Dorfman

Wow, this was so so helpful! I really liked how you gave a list of questions to ask yourself when writing. It's so useful to have a list to refer to when you've just read an unbelievable piece and you're like WOW and just completely stuck on what to comment. Thank you so much for writing this helpful, useful, amazing piece!

• Johanna

It's so weird when I get meaningless follows, it's like, are you just trying to get a follow back? I've seen people do number 2. And I wanted to scream. It's just such a mean thing to do! People genuinely think you liked their piece, but you just pressed the like button for no reason. Like, what? Why?

• Kahasai

Yes! I'm complaining, but it's so frustrating when I get a meaningless review or follow! (I've been getting a weird amount of meaningless follows--the last ten have all been blank people.) For reviewing, I feel that if you're going to say only one or two things about the piece, then it can just go in the comments. Why bother saying you're reviewing at all?

• Silver Pen

These are excellent tips! Thanks so much! (I think "Write the Worldarian is a good term. Perhaps a tad long, though, now that I've typed it.)

• Kenny

I’m very guilty of 3. I follow people because I like their writing, but I tend to just gush over it in my head, while completely forgetting the like button. I’ll make sure to be better next time.

• SomeFormOfWriting

I 100% agree with all of these. Thank you for writing this.

• AminahMcBina

Thank you so much for writing this piece. Number 3, I honestly admit, I had done with a few people, here on WtW. Number 4, I have reviewed only a few pieces of work, and all I have done is really explain why I liked the piece, but never so much as 'reviewing' it for grammatical errors, where certain parts can be elaborated, etc. After reading this post, I really wanna improve, so thanks!

p.s. Did you mean to put "fourth" in the title?

-Mina

• nezi_nes

I completely agree with the reviewing point, it's a bit frustrating to be receiving "good work" and nothing else. Also for the title it's "dabs a fourth time". Can't say I'm not reading work thoroughly now ;) *cheeky smile