jessica

hmu

Should you "Rent" this movie?

Starting off as a Musical written by Jonathan Larson, “Rent” was a hit on the big stage, But was it the same on the big screen? Rent, based on the play “La Boheme” by Puccini is about 7 different people, all dealing with different types of problems, like AIDS,drugs...oh yeah and relationships. Mark is a struggling budding young filmmaker, who recently gets dumped by his ex Maureen who finds love with another woman, Joanne.He lives with his best buddy Roger. Roger, is an HIV+,and recovering drug addict musician. Even throughout all these obstacles the 2 still can’t get a break, as they struggle to make ends meet to pay rent (hence the name) to Benny,who was once they're roommates now turned sell out because of his marriage to a rich woman, along the way Mark and Roger meet many other zany characters like Angel, a young HIV+ drag queen who’s also an amazing street percussionist and Tom Collins, a very open minded professor with aids.
    The movie starts off with a wonderful song sequence, which is mostly just the main characters repeating that they're “not gonna pay reeent!!!” The film, originally shot in 2005, is supposed to depict New York with how it looked in 1989, they did a very good job with that, the setting, the clothing style and everything would remind someone of that time. The movie is shot beautifully using amazing actors, who play their parts really well and not to mention all of them are outstanding singers. The movie features an all star cast of Idina Menzel, Rosario Dawson, Taye Diggs, etc. With great depth, a message and songs to soothe the soul, Rent: The movie isn't far from meeting standards set by its predecessor Rent: The Musical..

• January 19, 2016 - 11:25am (Now Viewing)