Shivani Mehta

You Would Stay

If you want to have a ride on an emotional roller coaster, wait no more! “If I stay”, the Teen Choice Award winner for Choice Movie: Drama, and a close adaption from Gayle Forman’s book,  will make you go through tons of emotions in just 106 minutes.

Director R.J. Cutler has once again proved that he can direct a genre that is completely new to him. The movie forces its audience to be grateful for what they have and to not take anything for granted. When Mia’s family gets into a fatal accident, her whole world turns upside down. She goes into a coma and has an out-of-body experience which gives the movie a very interesting and unique touch. The movie has frequent flashbacks during its whole duration and I was expecting it to be quite choppy and indistinguishable, but I was amazed at how everything went in a smooth flow and was not confusing. One other thing I really was impressed by was the script. The script was simple but effective with quotes that make audiences realise the truth of life. Some include, “Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you.” And “Life is a fat gigantic stinking mess. That’s the beauty of life.” and these dialogues form a completely new perspective for life. Despite being dire and having many perplexing moments, the movie has many moments where you would not stop laughing!

Chloe Grace staring as Mia Hall, winner of the Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Actress: Drama, and Jamie Blackley staring as Adam Wilde, have successfully portrayed two high schoolers who have a strong passion for music and their love story tells us that differences are what make us all special and also teach us to be more accepting of opposing opinions.

Overall, I would give this movie a 4.5/5 as I felt that although the storyline kept giving you chills and made you think what might happen next, the ending could have been better and not so abrupt. It is a movie I would like to watch again and again because it is successful in conveying its messages in such a beautiful way that is comedic yet, heart-wrenching. It is a perfect blend of emotions which makes it special and different from its rival movies like The Fault In Our Stars. Although it might not be a favourite for everyone,it is still a must watch film!