books and beaches

"Words in my humble opinion, are the most inexhaustible source of magic we have."
~Albus Dumbledore

“Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.”
― Louis L'Amour

Please check out my novel wiring contest!

Floating

2
Clinging on the the life jacket I had bought before I got on the boat, I tore off people trying to grab the strings. I watched others get swept away by the menacing waves, and other slip under the surface, doomed to stay at the bottom of the dark pit of water forever. I would help, but I couldn’t. I didn’t know how to swim. A mother with an infant bobbing up in down in the water cried out a name. A small boy paddled his way over to her. He took the baby as they floated away.
I bobbed up in down in the cold water, weeping silently. I was going to die. All of a sudden, I saw a shadow in the fog. It was a boat! I squirmed and screamed, hoping they would hear me. The raft came over towards me, and they heaved me on board.
“Thank you! Thank you!” I exclaimed. I had been saved by another boat of refugees.
“Are there others?” A man wearing a blue keffiyeh asked. I nodded and sat down.
“We won’t be able to take any more.” The man told me. I thought about the others who were probably drowning or flailing in the deep waters.
I felt a jolt, something was pulling us back. The knot that had been slowly untying itself in my stomach tightened. The mother, the baby and the boy were holding on to the side of the boat. A man tried to peel the boys hand off, but he resisted.
“We can’t take anymore.” The same man told them. The broken family pleaded and eventually the mother let out a heaving sob, and reluctantly held out her baby. I rushed over to the side of the boat and took the baby from her arms. It was the least I could do. I had taken their spot in the boat. They were probably going to drown.
“Her name is Hanna,” the mother said through her sobs. The boy let go and they disappeared in the waves.
Inspired by the book Refugee.