Made4Love

Catholic
Girl
17
4'10" -short:)
Bookworm
Writer
Dreamer
Runner
Nature Lover
Crocheter
-
I am passionately pro-life, pro-God, & pro-gun.
My life mission: spread Love through Joy
I seek to glorify God in all that I do (& write).

Thanking you for taking the time to read and comment on my works! I would love to hear what you think. What am I doing well? How can I improve? I appreciate any feedback you have. I hope you enjoy!
Thanks again, and I'm praying for you all!

Colors #SFOW5

9
     Ray and Rain call in their children from another room to be introduced to their aunt and uncle, Sun and Cloud.
     The children all come running in all at the same time, as typical. Though they do their own thing most of the time, they all stay together on special occasions such as this.
     As they enter the room, they subconsciously line up in a specific order. This is also typical of them.

Red is first in line, feet apart and ready for anything. Although she and her siblings are lined up across the length of the room, she stands slightly in front of the sibling beside her. One of her hands grips a journal, where she writes love letters to her imaginary crush. She dreams of a fairy-tale happily-ever-after. The other hand is clenched in a fist because, despite her romantic pastime, she was clearly disrupted from an argument with one of her siblings, evidenced by the confident sneer on her face. She is her school's fastest sprinter. She is also the school drama queen.
     Orange balances precariously beside (and slightly behind) Red, though you can't miss her electric blue hair. She is always dying her hair bright colors and wearing some funky outfit. This she does as an effort to stand out. You see, between Red and her other sister, she can sometimes seem invisible. However, she's the thoughtful one, always taking precautions to ensure that no one gets hurt when she and her siblings are roughhousing - ironic, considering her own clumsiness. Thick, black glasses frame her ever-changing hazel eyes. Her paint-splattered apron reveals her passion for the canvas. Abstract art is her expression of boldness. 
     Yellow bounces beside Orange, positively giddy. There's always something going on that she's just dying to share. Anyone else might believe the things about which she gushes seem trivial, but she has this way of making it interesting or funny for everyone. Music is her outlet, and she's has such a lovely voice. Her t-shirt reads "JOY" in big bold letters, with a smiley face inside the "O." She's got this ridiculous grin on her face and her sparkling ice-blue eyes glow with the warmth of the sun. With her cheerful disposition and energetic attitude, there is never a dull moment when she's around. 
     Green stands proudly beside Yellow. I'm guessing that he was the one arguing with Red. Red thinks that she and two particular siblings are more important to... well, I don't know. He argues that he's just as important. Anyway, Green hates that he is always compared to Red, as they are total opposites. Green is a vegetarian. And a cross country runner. He loves the outdoors, and right now carries a tall stick with him which he found lying on the ground outside earlier, and is using as a staff. His dirty blonde hair is all ruffled. Despite his frequent bickering with Red, he's the peacemaker of the family.
     Blue slumps beside Green. He's not going to tell anybody, but the girl he likes just turned him down. Whereas Orange tries to be seen, Blue doesn't usually mind being swallowed by the background. He's quiet, but very emotional and easily upset. Though he speaks little, his mind is always busy. He writes his feelings in a diary which he always keeps on his person. A special pen is tucked into his pocket as well; he is very picky about the quality of his writing instrument. His favorite season is Autumn, and he loves thunderstorms because they are dangerously exciting. He also adores the ocean, and the fascinating world that exists underneath its surface.  
     Purple is poised beside Blue, distracted from the introductions due to his intense focus on his broken fingernail. It bothers him because he's a perfectionist. His black hair has been combed neatly to the side. He hates to appear dressed anything less than impeccably. He's always composed, and moves with the sort of grace born of years of dance lessons. Whenever someone thinks he's weird for doing a "girl's" activity (men can dance too) he gives them the same glare he's currently aiming at his hangnail. Being distracted is a common occurrence for him. He's has this amazing capacity for philosophy, causing him to be caught up in bouts of deep thought quite frequently. Unlike Yellow, Purple could stay in one spot all day, contemplating poetry and doodling detailed designs in his notebook.

After introductions are concluded, the children all clamor to be the first to entertain their guest.  

"Aunt Sun!" bellows Red, charging toward her. "Who do you think is better? Me or Green? Wanna know my best 100 meter dash time? I set a school record!" She scrunches up her face in pain. "Ouch, Orange, you stepped on my foot!" She nudges her way in front of all her siblings to be sure she is heard. "Do you think a boy will ever like me?" She she bites her lip and twirls some of her wavy dark brown hair around her finger, waiting for a response.
     Yellow pops her head out behind Red. "Want to hear a joke I made up? I got an A on my math test yesterday! Can I sing you a song I learned today? Did you know that there's pie, and then there's pi?" Yellow bobs her head up and down furiously as if to emphasize her point. In her excitement, her gesturing hands fly up and smack Purple in the chest. She tosses a distracted "Sorry!" over her shoulder. Her frizzy blonde hair almost whips Orange in the eyes.
     Orange bumbles between Red and Yellow, holding up a recent painting she completed. As she angles her canvas to be visible to her intended viewer, she accidentally bumps into Red and then steps on her toe. "Aunt Sun! Look at this! I've got more in my room if you want to see. Sorry, Red. Maybe we should back up a little and give Aunt and Uncle some space. Careful, Yellow!" She swats Yellow's hair away from her ever-changing hazel eyes.
     Green approaches the chaos, pretending to wield his staff as a weapon. "Uncle Cloud!" he exclaims. "Look at what I found by the tree this morning! Isn't it cool?" He rocks back and forth on his feet to stretch his calves. "Red, there's no need to get angry at Orange. We all just need to calm down." His eyebrows turn downward over proud emerald eyes the moment he overhears Red's question. "Red, you are not better than me!" Exasperated, he runs his fingers through his hair, making it stick up all the more.
     Purple has dragged up a chair, and stands on it as an attempt to be heard over the commotion. His striking violet eyes assess the situation from above. "Uncle Cloud," he begins. Suddenly, Yellow's hand whacks him in the chest. He teeters, but his years of dance allow him to keep his balance atop his chair. "I  was thinking the other day about how light from the stars reaches us here light years later, and it made me realize -- wow, Yellow, you almost made me fall over!" His herald concluded, and in concern for his safety, he regally steps down from the chair.
     Blue materializes beside Aunt Sun, shoulders near his chin. He taps her arm. "Would you go with me to see the ocean someday?" He continues, barely audible, "I really want to go, but no one else wants to." He slumps a little as he says that last sentence. " His pen slips from his pocket, and as he reaches to gingerly scoop it up, he is swept from Aunt Sun's side by his unaware siblings. Overwhelmed, His expressive aquamarine eyes go wide in shock. He retreats to the corner of the room. 

Everyone is talking at once, but eventually Aunt Sun and Uncle Cloud figure out a solution so each child can get attention. 

Fifteen minutes later, Orange stumbles into the room with her painting supplies and sets up everything. She begins painting, her hand surprisingly steady with the brush. Her striped skirt doesn't quite match her plaid sweater. Purple waltzes in with a radio, turns it on, and proceeds to perform his dance routine. Blue, meanwhile, has plopped down on the rug and is writing something in his diary. He picks up his worry stone with the hand that isn't writing, and rolls it over and over in his palm. Yellow skips around the room, chattering about her math test and some humorous incident that happened earlier at lunch. Red sits on the sofa directly across from Aunt Sun and Uncle Cloud. She flips her hair dramatically and applies some ruby red lipstick, then boasts about her 100 meter dash times. And the whole time, she is shooting annoyed glances at Green, who is staring outside from his seat near the window. His staff lays beside him while he intentionally ignores Red's glares, mentally preparing his speech about the benefits of distance running.  

Later, after Aunt Sun and Uncle Cloud leave, the children wind down and prepare for bed. 

A storm is brewing outside, so Blue hurries to the window as soon as he finishes readying for bed. 
     Orange finishes organizing all her art supplies in their proper places and changes into mismatched pajamas. She painstakingly cleans her glasses, then sets them very carefully on her bedside table.
     Purple spends the most time in the bathroom, making sure his hair lays smoothly and his teeth are blindingly white after brushing them three times. Then he takes a shower. Then he combs his hair again. Finally, he heads to his room.
     Yellow turns on some gentle music and hums along as she brushes her hair. She smiles at her reflection in the mirror. She checks her nightlight as she does every night to be sure it is still working. She is terrified of the dark.
     Green leans his staff against his bed frame. He marks off the day from his calendar and writes a to-do list, then sets out his running shoes for tomorrow morning's run and gulps down a glass of water before getting into bed.
     Red stomps down the hallway to her room, grumbling to herself; she hates going to bed. Once under the covers, however, she immediately starts daydreaming about her wedding day.  

By the time the lightning stops flashing, the house is silent and everyone else has fallen asleep. Blue tip-toes to his room and slips under the covers.
This was for a prompt by SomeFormOfWriting. The piece from which I got the prompt no longer exists:( The prompt was "give each color of the rainbow a distinct personality by showing how they all interact."
This was difficult, yet surprisingly fun to write.