Cupo

Grace Mary Potts

My life is comprised of inconsistencies, daydreaming, procrastination techniques and occasionally, writing.

Very small extracts from a novella I'm tossing around in my head. They're very vague and not exactly polished but I thought I'd put them up here anyway, just to see what you guys think.

Breaking Cloudcover - Excerpts

0
"You really don't want to see the sun? The blue sky? The night sky? Aiden what happened to wanting to see the stars?" She nudged his shoulder.

Aiden gave a careless shrug, "I'll see it when I see it. Not like it's going anywhere and 'sides, I've told you before Sam, I like the clouds."

Sam shook her head incredulously, "You're crazy."

He barked a laugh and tossed the paper ball in the air.

"So I'm told."

*

If she heard the words "doesn't apply herself" one more time she was going to bloody well shoot somebody. 

*

"I'm passing Mum!" she bellowed, "Some kids can't even say that!"

"Yes well I don't care about 'some kids' do I?" she shot back, voice beginning to rise, "I care about you Samantha. Your grades! Your-" she broke off with a sigh, reaching up to wipe her fingers across her eyes. "I just," she sighed again, "I just know you could do so much better."

Sam swallowed and looked down at the carpet, rough and worn beneath her toes, and felt the beginnings of guilt creeping in. But she plowed on anyway. 

"I'm doing better than average Mum," she whispered; the words sounding hollow even to her own ears. "Why can't that be enough for you?" 

Louise closed her eyes and shook her head.  "Because I know you could do better," she sounded almost resigned, "and I know you know it too."

Sam looked away. She didn't turn when the sound of the door closing alerted her to her mother's exit from the room.

• January 17, 2016 - 8:57am (Now Viewing)