0810191233a

Mary Wall

Aspiring Author
Dancer
Bookdragon
Icecream Consumer
Daughter of the King
Dessert Craver
Homeschooler
Adventurer
Dreamer
Coffee Drinker
Fangirling over the Ranger Apprentice Series
ISFJ

Hope you like it!:)

#1000PaperCranes

6
    There's an old myth that states that if you fold a thousand cranes, you will be granted one wish. 
    I tried it. 
    For hours on end, I folded. 1...145...467...694...921...1000. I waited for some kind of lightning from the sky. liver shiver, zap in the heart, a genie. Nothing happened and I started to get worried. What of it didn't work? What if I'd spent all that time for nothing? If this didn't work, my family would fall apart. Literally. 
    While I contemplated my predicament and stressed about what could happen, a sparkle floated past my eye. I flinched and drew back, looking around nervously. My eyes came to rest on a old, kindly looking woman sitting by my elbow in the tall grass. Her eyes were closed and her hands were folded in her lap. She sat crosslegged, like me. When I saw her, I did a double take and then jumped back, despite my awkward position.
    " Am I that repulsive? That's how the last one reacted too, and no one will lend me a mirror," her voice was soft and lilting, sending tingling sensations up and down my body. I crawled backwards, my eyes the size of my mothers china teacups. One thousand paper cranes were piled all over the green grass. I swallowed past the crane sized lump in my throat. 
    " Uh... I," it came out as more of a sqeak. I tried again. " Who are you?"
    She chuckled good-naturedly. " I am what you would call a fairy godmother."
    My eyes must have bulged out.
    " Stop staring," she said. "You look like a frog. A cute frog, but a frog nonetheless." 
    Despite the weird circumstances, I sort of liked this 'fairy godmother'. But, could she help me?
    " Do you grant wishes?" I asked. 
    " No. I'm here to give you a foot massage," she answered sarcastically. Her lavender eyes sparkled. I wasn't sure if fairy godmothers were supposed to be sarcastic, but it seemed to fit this one. 
    " Yes, I grant wishes. What's yours?" she asked. I bit my lip before replying. 
    " I wish family would be happy again."
    She looked at me with sympathy in her eyes.
    " I grant it, but,..." she paused, " isn't there something you want for yourself?" I shook my head. " Go on then. Be happy, and don't forget me," she said, waving me away. I got to my feet and backed away slowly. Down the little hill that sat behind my family's farm, past the little stream that ran beside the big barn. I paused and looked back. She still sat on the top of the hill, eyes closed, surrounded by my paper cranes. I smiled and went inside, my hopes soaring. When I looked again, she was gone. But the effects of my wish still linger, a reminder of my fairy godmother.

• Mary Wall

Thanks so much!<3

• Victoria Penning

Love this! And I like how the fairy godmother is different then what one would usually read about. You did and excellent job on this! :D

• AbigailSauble

I love the imagination and originality in this. :) Great job!

• Catlover

Wanted to let you know about my book club: