Eaccd622 66c5 48ab 878f 4aff3503487b

paperbird

Hope you find these helpful :)

FOR NOVELISTS - Answer These Questions About Your Character

4
While filling out name/gender/physical appearance questions about characters is helpful for novelists, I think that the most effective way to learn about your character is to answer questions about their morals, outlooks, and mindset.  I've done quite a few character Q&As from various websites and I tried to incorporate the kinds of questions that I find most helpful.  Several of these are unrealistic scenarios. 
Below is my version of Character Questions.  I hope you find this helpful and inspirational.

Does your character value their life?  How important is longevity to them?

Can your character easily identify good friends?  How likely are they to put their trust in the right people?  How adept are they at picking out liars and individuals with bad morals?

If a witch came and cursed your character, what would the worst curse imaginable (think creatively) be for them?  (e.g., constantly loneliness, always being noticed, etc.)

If your character had dietary restrictions, how likely would they be to stick to them?

List three insecurities your character has.

If someone wanted your character to do something, what would be the most effective method of bribery?  Would your character give in easily?

If your character was forced to an eternity of sitting in a blank room with nothing but a stack of books and a pile of crack cocaine, which would they pick up first?  How long would it be before they picked up the second?

How is your character affected by praise?  How are they affected by insults?

How much thought does your character spare for other people's feelings?

At a social event, a stranger walks up to your character and says, "Hi, what's your name?" as a way of making conversation.  Describe, in detail, how your character would respond; perhaps write up the scenario and include dialogue.  Does conversation flow naturally for them?

Lastly, does your character believe that pineapple should be on pizza?

If you want to make a piece out of answering these questions (optional, this can just be for your own purposes if you want) you can put #pb in the title and I'll read and like it.

• Kahasai

Paperbird, in honor of your last question, I created this:

• Mary Wall

This is awesome! I think I'm going to answer it!

• Kahasai

"I've done quite a few character Q&As from various websites and I tried to incorporate the kinds of questions that I find most helpful."

"Lastly, does your character believe that pineapple should be on pizza? "

XD I see that the pineapple and pizza wars continue.

• SomeFormOfWriting

This is awesome!

These are great questions! However, most of my characters live in a world without pizza :)

This is super useful! I love finding character resources like these!

• R.j.Elsewhere

These questions are amazing! I have to do these for one of my character one day!