Fd22aa4d 2798 48c8 87d1 e21418fff502

Corner Writing Club

"Feedback is the breakfast of champions."
-Frank A. Clark

Corner Writing Club is the perfect place for anyone looking for feedback and a chance to contribute to a writing society. Join by following our profile and filling out the form under the piece entitled "Rules and Form" (the second piece under our Published Work). This club is hosted by RainAndSonder and Paperbird; we publish updates every few days.
Some features this club offers are:
- games/challenges
- prompts
- contests
- featured pieces/writers
- and more!
We operate on a system of monthly reviewing partners. Members of our club are paired with new users every month to write a review of that person's work for every week of that time period.
Please ONLY follow Corner Writing Club if you would like to join this system.

Hey Everyone (IMPORTANT)

17
Sorry that we haven't been active for a while, but I've got an idea.

I'm sure you've all noticed that we're very bad with keeping track of reviewing assignments, and there have been many, many weeks that we've skipped. The thing is that organizing the reviewing assignments is extremely hard. First you have to pair everyone up, then look at everyone's preferences, then find pieces for everyone to review, and then when you actually send them out you have to keep track of who's done and who's not. This was simple at first, but now the club has--- I don't even know, about seventy-five members? That's a lot of people and a lot of assignments to keep track of.

The obvious solution here would be to get rid of the assignments, but then one of the major benefits and features of this club would be taken away. I feel like reviewing assignments help give everyone experience with reviewing and help give people more reviews. So we need ideas.

Here are a few of mine:

1. We could have one to three pieces from a single member that everyone else in the club would review per week. That way, that member would get a ton of feedback on those pieces, and since it would be every week, everyone would get a chance to get those many reviews.
2. We could have some sort of point system. For example, we could have a featured piece every couple of days, and reviewing it would be optional, but if you do, you would get a certain number of points. Yes, we would have to keep track of how many points each member has, but I have a list of members and I think it'd be pretty simple. Also, we could extend the point system beyond reviews. For example, maybe the more prompts and games you participate in, the more points you get? Stuff like that. We could also have certain prizes for reaching a number of points, and the points would reset each month?

Please tell us in the comments if any of those ideas seem good to you, or if you have any suggestions or ideas yourself. Thanks everyone!

• Crescent

Buddy System sounds great.

• Kahasai

Or there's probably sons sort of online generator for mix matching names.

• Kahasai

I agree with xen isekai. You guys have grown kinda big, so you're soon going to have to adjust your system to compensate. A buddy system could work, especially if you could figure out an effective way of mixing up buddies. (Maybe create a deck of cards with a username per card--jeez, that's a lot of work--and then mix the cards, then pick out random cards to be buddies. Then it wouldn't be too hard to add new members, and if someone complains of having the same buddy too many times, you take out that buddy's card from the deck and shuffle again. Dunno, just thought of that as I typed it up.) The first idea could definitely work. Maybe put up a writer per day? As others noted, doing one per week means i would take a long time to get to other people.

• mossmachinery

I think the best idea are the ones by stripedfly1001 and stormguard789, a buddy system with switch ups every few weeks, maybe even once a month. It'll keep all the members getting feedback without waiting too long. You could even try reviewing assignments every fortnight instead, it might even be beneficial to writers with not a lot of content since it gives them some time to produce more.

I think since you guys are growing so fast, you might want to revamp some parts of the club if it isn't efficient to cater to a large crowd, cause you might end up burning yourselves out. This club is so amazing for new or lesser known writers since it brings them feedback and exposure, but as you grow it'll get harder to manage so it's best to come up with an effective system for a large amount of members earlier on. I really appreciate you guys running this club and I wish you guys future success!! :3

• annie_cheng

I like the first idea, and I agree with everyone who said we should do maybe 3 pieces from different writers every week to spread the wealth around a bit. I'm the type of person who doesn't have a ton of pieces on this website but loves to read what other people have to offer, so I don't really mind waiting a while to get a review on my writing. Thanks so much for doing this! You guys are seriously amazing :)

• JediKnightGirl

Although I think the point system is a good idea, I think it would be hard to keep track of. I know you said it wouldn't be but I'm assuming you guys are both busy with school and I don't want you to overwork yourselves or add to the stress you're already feeling. I really like the first idea though! You probably shouldn't make reviewing a requirement (because that might get complicated too), but if you at least did a shout-out with a link to the piece and some quick feedback, others might be encouraged to review the piece, or at least like and comment. But it's so amazing how fast you're growing and I hope you keep getting more members! :)

• books and beaches

I’ve filled out the Rules and Guidelines form, but I’m not sure if anyone’s seen it. Is there anything I could do about that?

• Ellie!

Although, stormguard798 has a point that sometimes receiving too much feedback can be an overload.

• Ellie!

The first one would work with a few edits. It might do better if you had, instead of specific pieces, like three writers per week and everyone in the club would review a piece by one of those writers, that way certain people wouldn't be waiting a year or more to come around in the reviewing cycle.

• stormguard798

I like the buddy idea as suggested by stripedfly, but I propose that we switch up buddies every 2 to 3 weeks; that way, it's still a lot less work, but we still end up reviewing a variety of works. While I believe that Idea 1 is neat, I feel that receiving that many ideas and comments may be too difficult to sort through, esp. on newcomers like myself who don't have that many pieces.

• Johanna

I like the first idea, but the second one works as well.

• Corner Writing Club

Thank you for all of the suggestions/input!

• lianhabanana!

I don’t really mind. I like both ideas a lot! May the best idea win!

• _TJNR@cheshire_

If I had to choose I think option number one would be really cool although that means dedicating yourself to 75+ weeks of reviewing, so that might not be great for you guys but if you're up for it then, awesome! Also I really liked stripedfly1001's idea and I think it would be really cool to merge those ideas together e.g. We all have a buddy and then there will be the one person feature thing too. Hope that helped, but whatever you do please don't get rid of the review things altogether!

• hibasaurus

I'm all down for the first one!

• janice

Hey I just realized that if you do the first one it would take like 79 weeks for some people to get a review...

• Isla-Grace Davies

I agree that the first option or the buddy system is a great way to go! You could keep whatever you go with really simple and easy for you guys so that you get some time to yourself

I'm up for either No. 1 or the Buddy System! Both sound great. The one about the points sounds really cool and competitive too, but it might get just as confusing for you guys as the original reviewing assignments :) Keep up the good work, this club is awesome! :D

• Surly Wombat

The first one sounds awesome, and easier for you guys to control. However the second one is also super cool. I'm down for whatever.

• palindrome

I much prefer number one. Maybe instead of having individual pieces to review, just have a writer we all focus on? Idk

• R.j.Elsewhere

Personally love the first, but the second one is super cool and would do great with a lot of other things. Even joining the two would be super interesting and fun! keep it up!

• LyraLynne

And I also love the buddy idea, and maybe the buddies could switch every month so you have a new brain helping you to realize your full potential in your writing. EEK! I love this so much thank you for doing this! I am so pumped!

• LyraLynne

Both of those ideas are great! You could combine the two and maybe do, because the person who's getting the reviews is already getting a ton of feedback, they might be exempt from points while their pieces are getting reviewed, and then everyone else could get points by doing the reviews. Then, on the next review cycle, the roles switch with whoever's turn it is to get the reviews that time. I don't know, just an idea.

• UNC ANGEL

I love the first idea a lot!!!!!!!

• ryxxry

first one is a great idea and I like @striepdfly1001's idea about the buddy system.

• SomeFormOfWriting

I like the first idea.

I agree with @nevaredhp in that the buddies should be switched up, so you can get reviews from different types of people and get different perspectives on your pieces.

• Doktor Habit

I kinda like the first one!

• nevaredhp

First one sounds good :) I also like what stripedfly1001 said about a buddy system. And if you did that, then maybe the buddies could be mixed up once a month. Then it's kind of like what you do now, only you don't have to pick the pieces.

• Nonny21

first one seems like a good idea :)

• janice

Oh hey, maybe you could do something where everyone is assigned a "buddy," and once a week they have to review one of their buddie's works. For example, writers A and B are buddies. A reviews something by B once a week, and B reviews something by A once a week. If there's an odd number, then there can be trios. Buddies could choose the pieces they want reviewed.

I like the first idea better. Assigned points can easily become a little too competitive rip

• janice

The first one is definitely a great idea.