inkandstars

hello!
new beginnings
new names
formerly palindrome but i needed some change
mostly write short stories and prose
nerdy athlete
asexual gray romantic
prepping for NaNoWriMo 2020!!!!!

do what makes you happy. eat what makes you happy. write what makes you happy. be happy! baby you deserve it.
if anybody judges you,
kill them and eat them too

Vita et Latine: Life in Latin

4
    You know, life is confusing. There is always someone claiming to have figured it out, the secret to navigating the world. They are always wrong. There is no "secret formula" to ace tests. No way to really figure it out. 
    In seventh and eighth grade I studied Latin. The longer I studied, the deeper I fell into a linguistic pit. Instead of being able to understand the more I pored over books, letters would break free of their proper words and float around the empty space in my brain. It was challenging. There was no rhyme or reason to endings, pronunciation, or spelling. Why couldn't it just make sense?! I felt stretched and brittle, unable to take in new information.
    But I loved it. It opened doors to new paths, constructed highways over the slow crawl of the American language. Latin was impossible, yet the best thing I ever learned. I realized, life is like Latin. It doesn't make sense. It could mean so many different things, yet still have a precise message. 
    I'm still hoping life will become spanish.

• October 17, 2018 - 11:07am (Now Viewing)

• Luna Lemon

This was so good! I love the short simpleness of the piece yet the huge message you put across. The comparison between Latin and life was super well done. I like how you described it as being confusing, and still is, but because of all the challenges you love it. And life, although confusing, can still be an absolutely wonderful thing! I've never seen that analogy before and through your writing, this idea was expressed really well. I love the last line as well! It's almost humorous as it compares the easiness of learning spanish to Latin, but still connects to your desire to understand life.
    Amazing job on this piece!!! I absolutely love reading it:)