iam.natalie.n

Film Review-Inside Out

Natalie Nguyen
Mr. Doreian
College ELA//Per. 4
01/12/16
Film Review: Inside Out
    The Pixar movie Inside Out takes us on a journey through the life of a girl by the name of Riley from her birth until her teenage years. The primary five emotions, Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, and Disgust, are represented as little people in Riley’s head. Riley’s head is depicted as a control room in which all of the emotions get to see what Riley encounters and determines what emotions she feels. For example, if there was something disgusting that Riley saw, Disgust would pull the lever and that signals Riley to feel disgusted. Then, a moment, will be produced and the color goes according what emotion it was. After one full day, all of the moments gets stored into a long-time memory chamber. What an imaginative, creative and unusual way to depict someone’s head?! From talking cars, fast racing snails, a flying house and now a powerhouse in someone’s head, I wonder what Pixar intends on on doing next?
    But Inside Out is in the top rank of Pixar productions with its combination of audacity, intelligence, wit and emotional reward. Directed and co-written by Pete Docter (Monsters, Inc and Up) and co-directed by Ronnie del Carmen, Inside Out starts from a boldly abstract premise: the narrative plays out within the psyche of a girl named Riley (voiced by Kaitlyn Dias) and the film’s characters are her feelings. The movie is an emotional roller coaster through Riley’s life. At the beginning, where it starts off as Riley’s baby days and childhood, everything seems to be joyful and going well for her and her family. That is until Riley’s father gets a new job in San Francisco and the family now has to move from Minnesota, where Riley had discovered her love for hockey and also had close friendships with people that she loves,  to their new home. Once, they arrived, their welcome wasn’t really a welcome that they would expect. The pizza is served with broccoli and her school fills her with anguish. In the middle of the film, there is control room dilemma that results in Joy and Sadness walking through different imaginary lands. After wandering around for a while, Joy and Sadness run into Riley’s imaginary ,cat and elephant hybrid, friend named Bing-Bong! With the help of their new cat-elephant friend, Joy and Sadness are able to find their way back to headquarters. With the help of Disgust getting Anger superheated, they were able to burn a hole through the glass and save Joy and Sadness.
    In the end, Joy learns that every moment is made up of more than one emotion. It was at this moment of epiphany that the first memory was made with a fusion of yellow, from Joy, and blue, from sadness. From there on out, the memories that Riley produced were fusions of two or more emotions. This is a highly recommended movie for anybody, whether you’re 5 or 50, it will be an amazing movie. It brings back some childhood memories and gives a good laugh.

• January 15, 2016 - 10:27am (Now Viewing)