Winnie Mei

The Real Meaning behinds the movie "2012"

Winnie Mei
Mr. Doreian
ELA 10
Jan. 14, 2016
                                                           The Real Meaning behinds the movie"2012"
          People love disaster movies, mostly because they can see something that would not exist in their life.  The disaster movie “2012” , created in 2009, should be considered as an unforgivable movie .This movie was directed by a famous movie director Roland Emmerich, which was the director of “ Godzilla” and “The day after tomorrow”. Starring by John Cusack and Chiwetel Ejiofor. The movie “2012” had an excellent box office of 769.7 million in United States.
         The movie was based on the ancient Mayan phenomenon, that December 21, 2012 on their calendar is the end of the world. The planet would destroyed because of solar flares and killed all the people on earth. “2012”  put this phenomenon into a movie. The movie begins with a warning about the increased temperature of the earth core.  Leader of  big countries secretly began a project to ensure humanity’s survival by building enormous arks in a secret mountain at China. However, the ticket for the ark are only sell to the important and rich people in the world that mean only these people are able to survive when that day come. A scientific writer, Jackson Curtis found out this secret. He witnessed the crush of America continent and finally arrived at the secret mountain in China. They got into the arks and survived.
        "2012" shows a very strong storyline with awesome special effects on the earthquake in California, the burning of Hawaii, and the destruction of the whole American continent. The adventure of Jackson Curtis is absolutely too dramatic. If the end of the planet really comes, it’s impossible for people to escape from the disaster. Human can not withstand the power of the nature. However, “2012” is not just a movie that talks about how people die at the end of the world, it also reflected humanity and class separation. Audience can find love, courage, and also selfish and the dark side of human. It was a reminder to all the human beings that no one is superior nor inferior in front of death. “2012” shows audiences the selfishness of human, that all the riches are able get on to the arks and survive, but the ordinary people must die. It is also a warning to all human, even though “2012” is not real, but the end of the world will exist in the future if humen are keep doing things that hurts the planet and their only homeland.
      An important factor that “2012” attracted many audiences is that the phenomena of 2012 makes people felt curious on what the movie would talk about. Disaster is a very good setting that favored by many movies. Emmerich used such a good background setting, plus the development of many different themes based on the setting. 2012 was passed, but people should watch “2012” as a new way to understand life and death, and the positive side and the negative side of this society.