Pinky23

Am I Next?

" I have a dream." These are just 4 words that were said by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. that needs to be used today. He had a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and girls as sisters and brothers. Today all people see is color, they look at a person and judge him or her by the color of their skin. I am very passionate about racism because almost every day another African American man or woman gets shot or killed by white police or other white people. I want to promote both change and happiness to the world. It's very important because the message that I'm am trying to spread is that no one should be judged by the color of their skin and hopefully this will stop police violence and racism all around the world. About a month ago I watched a documentary called Rest In Power The Trayvon Martin Story. When I was watching the documentary I felt very upset, angry, and scared. I felt upset for Trayvon's parents for losing their son so soon to gun violence. I felt angry because Trayvon's parents didn't receive any justice for Trayvon, because the man who murdered George Zimmerman, was a white male, who received a verdict of not guilty. After the verdict came out many people were very mad and upset and it started the Black Lives Matter movement. I felt scared because what if I'm next? I am biracial my mom is white and my dad is black. I get scared if I'm next or any of my friends and family could be next.

I want my voice to be heard because I wan to stop racism and police violence once and for all. I have a very diverse group of friends and most of them believe that something should be done about this issue. While I was watching the Trayvon Martin Story with my dad, we felt very angry and upset when the verdict of the trial of George Zimmerman was said. Majority of people believe that changes should be made while other people don't care, because they think something won't happen to them or someone they know. I recently finished reading a book called The Hate U Give.

• books and beaches

Awesome essay! I feel like the word angers is being used a lot though, so maybe use some synonyms like furious, indignant, or enraged. Amazing piece! Keep on writing!