Silver Pen

Christian/LOVE Jesus/she/her/big family/scifi/fantasy/Minnesotan/good books/beautiful words/wit/Halo/notebooks and pens/old book smell/coffee/ royalty/honor/love

I came here to love, learn, laugh, and hone my skills.
I hope to return the favor to my fellow Write the Worldarians.
The pen is mightier than the sword -- especially if it's launched from an elastic band. ~Me and my awesome sister Éowyn

Performance

PROMPT: Unplug

0
    I will be the first to admit that I have little to no experience with social media.  However, I am a writer, and I have an imagination.  I also know what it's like to feel the need to perform.  So, I'll tell you a story, just like I'm talking to you in this print that stares bald-facedly at you from the screen, and I'll try to explain what I think about living life without an audience.
     I have performance issues.  I hope they are getting better through the love and grace of God, because sometimes the progress of our spirits and souls is so gradual as to be rather hard to detect by ourselves.  This need to perform, and I know it too well for my tastes, comes from this question: "Am I good enough?"
    Am I?  Are you? 
    Maybe that's the question we're trying to answer when we stress out over likes and dislikes and comments.  Maybe that's the question adults try to answer when they cram their lives so full of activities, often harmless or praiseworthy in and of themselves, that they cannot properly enjoy their lives and they become so burnt out that they snap and growl and shout.  If you're a Christian around where I grow up, all that negative behaviour will make them think, "No, I'm not good enough."  The cycle feeds itself, a perfect ecosystem of self-destructive Q&A.  Those who have troubles with social media have people they often don't know and who often may not really care as their audience.  Christians?  Some of them have the Almighty as theirs, and not in a good way.
    I know this, because I got stuck in it.
    Funny thing about lying about God: sometimes He will show up and blow that lie to pieces.
    I can confidently say that I know in my brain that I am indeed, by His grace, good enough.  But there is a difference between knowing the right answer to a question and believing the truth.  Once I, and everyone else stuck in the prison of performance and social media, believes this in our hearts, we will be free.  Thank God Almighty, I am free and good enough!
I'd like to thank my Heavenly Father, the teachers at Bethel Redding, CA, as well as Dan Mohler and Todd White, for helping me to form the ideas I have set forth.