FayS

Ireland

We need LGBT+ education!

I am a 13 year old bisexual teenaager. I recently told two of my friends. I was scared of telling them because at our age, they had probably only seen a distorted version of what bisexuality is on television. We had never really talked about LGBT+ issues - it just wasn't a normal topic of conversation. We assumed that everyone we know is straight and straight only.  Their reactions were expected, one of them, let's call her Bella, freaked out. I told her over text as I knew otherwise I would get scared. She first thought I was joking, that telling her was a dare, because of course. Then she acted like she was completely fine with it, she brushed it off, made it seem unimportant. Eventually, she cracks, like I knew she would, and drowns me in questions, she is shaking, she is in utter shock. The next day, we don't talk about it. I say something about it and she brushes it off. She was and still is in denial. Even now, we have only talked about it once, when I confronted her, for about two seconds. Looking back on it now, I feel angry. Angry about her reaction. She made it all about herself, how she was feeling, never once thinking about how I might be feeling, how I might feel knowing my sexual orientation is making someone so close to me shake and nearly start to cry. Then she ignores it. Because ignoring it is easier. Easier than facing the fact that shocker, I am bisexual, that that is not going to change. My other friend was supportive and nice and I love her for that. But we still don't talk about it. I don't feel comfortable with talking about it to them because I can tell they are uncomfortable.

Why is straight the default sexual orientation? Why is cisgender the default gender? Why are children not told that it's okay not to fit in that box? Why don't schools educate their students about the LGBT+ community? I want that to change. I want everyone to be educated about the LGBT+ community, I want everyone to know they don't have to hide, they don't have to be ashamed. I realised I was bisexual around 11 years of age. People tell you you don't know at that age, but if that's true, how does anyone know they're straight or cisgender? Schools now don't acknowledge their LGBT+ students, they don't make them feel valued or understood, they may even tell them they should be ashamed of who they are. Bullying because of sexual orientation or gender identity is commonplace and not addressed. Schools aren't inclusive of LGBT+ people, even in their sex education. It is just blatantly wrong and discriminatory that heterosexual people are the only ones to receive proper sex education. It shows that schools think heterosexuals sexual health is more important than that of others. I want to make a change. I want people in the LGBT+ community to get the same treatment as heterosexual and cisgender people. And education from a young age will be a step closer to reaching equality. Acknowledgement is the first step.

This might be a bit of a confusing rant.

• green.eyes.gurl

Read first sentence, and again, I am the same. Well, I'm not sure if I'm bi or pan, but...
    WOW. I realized I was bi when I was 11, too. I'm a little shook, haha! :)
    DO NOT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BULLYING ABOUT SEXUAL ORIENTATION OR GENDER IDENTITY OH MY GOODNESS!
    YES! Okay so the sexual education thing? My school divides in quarters, so one part of it is that each quarter you will have a different class for your assigned period: music, art, health, or technology design to modeling. (tech-ed, we call it) Right now I have health, and our sex-ed unit? Nothing had to do with homosexual relationships, only heterosexual relationships. Why is that? I just don't understand. Also. I know of at least two or three teachers in my building that are homophobic and transphobic. (No 'or' there, just 'and') HUNNY. DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT WE ARE HOOMAN BEANS, JUST LIKE YOU? ONE OF MY FRIENDS IS NOT CISGENDER (his name is Lucas), AND SO MANY TEACHERS CALL HIM BY HIS GIVEN NAME (Brianna) OR STRAIGHT UP JUST BY HIS LAST NAME BECAUSE THE TEACHER REFUSES TO IDENTIFY HIM AS A DIFFERENT GENDER THAN HE WAS BORN IN HIS MIND! Our school celebrated (should be "celebrated," with air quotes) LGBT+ history month by airing a video on our morning announcements about books involving LGBT+ themes or characters. (It was actually kind of awesome; the girl, Olivia, who introduced the video on the announcements the one day used to be my friend, but didn't want to be my friend because she was disgusted with me being bisexual. she is a huge homophobe, and i know i shouldn't be laughing at her discomfort, but she really hurt me. i thought i could trust her and she was the first person i ever told, but evidently i couldn't and she shouldn't have been) Then don't even get me started on the jokes everyone makes. Most of the people in my grade know that I'm bisexual. The ones that know, other than Olivia, are so nice and supportive and everything. But some of my friends, the rather inappropriate ones, make jokes about watching girl-on-girl p*rn and loving it, and asking me if I would do that, and asking me if i would rather "eat d or p." I know they are just making jokes, but sometimes it really bothers me.
    There was this guy I used to like. His name is Zach. I like him a lot, then on the bus one morning he said something. He said that gay and trans people always play the victim when something happens. Needless to say I yelled at him, and he didn't even apologize to me for saying it, knowing I'm bi. His ex has two dads, and she was really upset as well.
    The only people in my family that know I am bi are my parents, and they are pretty accepting. I won't tell anyone else in my family because I'm scared they won't accept me, and instead will be disgusted by me and won't ever want to see me.
    Sorry that this comment turned into something ridiculously long. But if you want to hear any more, please feel free to let me know!

• green.eyes.gurl

I saw the title and haven't read it yet but I'm excited and am already saying YES!

• Aries Music Lover

I think you are amazing and so so very brave for chosing this topic. You are so strong and I love that, keep laying down the truth with every word you write. You know what they say 'Doing whats right isn't easy and doing the easy thing isn't right'. Remember this though: No one is normal, everyone has a different perspective. No one is perfect we all have our flaws no matter how small or big, the world was not made for a one size fits all kind of place. We are here to accept one another and make this place worth living on.

• Violettegoas

This better be chosen lmao

• JediKnightGirl

This is so true! Your friend shouldn't have made it about herself, first of all, but people really need to understand that not everyone is straight and that non-straight people need sexual education as well! Thank you so much for writing this because it needs to be said.

• fays2355

IMPORTANT! I hope this gets chosen, it's so so important!

• paperbird

Amen! It’s super brave of you to come out like that.
    Honestly in my friend group it’s more normal to be LGBTQ+ than it is to be straight, but coming out is really awkward cause it’s just like, “Me... gay.” “Yeah... I figured.”

• paperbird