Maria Nova

Film Review- The Martian

0
Maria Sena Nova
Film Review
Mr. Doreian- Period 5
                    THE MARTIAN
    Imagine being the only one on a planet, with only a month of resources to survive. Released on October 2, 2015 and directed by Ridley Scott, The Martian, is a very tenseful action and scientific based movie. This thrilling film is about an astronaut stranded on Mars after his team left him there, with the belief that he were dead. Mark Watney, played by Matt Damon, needs to learn how to survive on the hostile planet. On the contrary, back on Earth, NASA was trying to get a hold of Watney after Watney contacted them and told them that he was alive. The plan by NASA was taking too much time so Watney’s peers found their own and quicker way to help out.
    During the exposition of the movie, Watney and his crew from NASA were excited to go up to space. Unfortunately, when the team was out of their aircraft, the came across a storm. Which was where Watney lost his team and ended up stranded on Mars. There on Mars, where he the only living organism besides bacteria, he learned to survive for over 2 years. Mars was certainly a big and scary experience but the outcome of the movie was worth watching.
    The movie kept many people, the majority of the watchers stuck to their seats. The movie was rated 92% awesomeness on the popcorn chart & the movie received 93% Rotten Tomatoes. What really worked well for the movie was all the detail and emphasis that was placed on Mars and Watney’s voyage to Mars. The director, Scott, made the movie very awesome. The shots were very carefully put together and the sound was very suspenseful. This caused the audience to be always focused on the next event in the movie. The film was 2 hours and 24 minutes long, but honestly the movie felt like an hour long.
    The producers, Ridley Scott, Simon Kinberg, Mark Huffam, Aditya Sood, Michael Schaefer, all did a wonderful job with the camera angles and also cinematography. The camera angles really emphasized emotions and feelings. The close up shots really show what Watney is feeling and how the situations are affecting him. The cinematography was also very good. While in Mars, you could really see the colors and the surroundings detailed. The geography looked so real as if that were really Mars; impressive!
    This film deserves 6 cats from the lonely old lady down the street. The Martian was beyond worth while and it is very different in plot and setting from other movies… literally, the movie mostly took place on Mars. The Martian also won the Golden Globes award and is also nominated for a 2016 Oscar. If you haven’t watched the movie yet, make sure to do so. You will not regret it!
You won't find a space epic that's more fun to geek out at than The Martian.” -Peter Travers