Lol

Ella Hambleton

My name is Ella, my game is... writing! I love to write about nature, and I always aim to create a real mood in my writing, whether it be that warm fuzzy feeling, or a tense, and foreboding one :)

If you are ever reading one of my pieces and don't understand, or just want to provide some advice, feel free to comment. I am always looking for ways to improve and create more emotion in my writing.

The Box

0

Mr Shard sat behind his desk, staring at the box that contained today’s precious delivery. He was wasting time. He never wasted time. But something this morning was different. He had slept past his alarm, groaning and knocking it off his bedside table as he attempted to silence it. His usual punctuality and smooth, emotionless trip to work had been interrupted by irrational anger as the traffic slowed him almost to a halt. He had sat in his car, slamming the wheel. Things weren't right this morning. And he knew it. The box wasn't even delivered on time, but instead of being dissatisfied and unresponsive to the delivery man’s desperate pleas for his pardon, he was openly infuriated by the postman’s lack of punctuality. He kicked he box as he stormed past, something that he usually would never have done in his wildest dreams, which usually only consisted of arriving at work with a crooked tie, or a loose hair. He stared at the box, his mind barren of all thoughts.

After almost half an hour of pondering and pacing, Mr Pernic Shard strode stiffly towards the object which had caused him so much strife. Why was he worrying so much? It was just a box for goodness sake! He extended a smooth, manicured hand towards the rough opening of cardboard and hooked his fingers beneath the edge. It wouldn’t budge. Of course! He remembered, I forgot the tape! He chuckled to himself, and scolded himself for being so unintelligent. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small multi-tool. Carefully pulling the scissors from their casing he cut through the tape on the top of the box and pulled it away. Finally he would find out what was in there, other than the regular of course. He violently tugged at the folded cardboard and it slid open. A bright light blinded him and he felt a pair of ice cold hands grasp his neck as he was dragged into the box that was meant to be his morning delivery.

• January 12, 2015 - 1:58am (Now Viewing)