Lol

Ella Hambleton

My name is Ella, my game is... writing! I love to write about nature, and I always aim to create a real mood in my writing, whether it be that warm fuzzy feeling, or a tense, and foreboding one :)

If you are ever reading one of my pieces and don't understand, or just want to provide some advice, feel free to comment. I am always looking for ways to improve and create more emotion in my writing.

Cat & Dog

0

Dog raised his sleek golden snout and took a deep breath. A river of scents flowed through his black twitching nose. He separated and identified each one individually, the cold, icy scent of newly fallen snow, the dry meaty whiff of his dog biscuits, the sickly, sharp smell of the laundry powder, the everyday smells of his den.

He paced the laundry, stopping when cat cam to rub against his shaggy legs. Her smell was nice, a musty, warm smell, like a fluffy rug on a cold night.

His human had gone out, leaving him stuck in the laundry. But Cat had long ago taught him how to open doors. He jumped up, putting his two large forepaws firmly on the door. He put gentle pressure on the lever. It twisted and he pushed at the door, bracing himself for its outwards swing.

A blast of cold air slammed into his exposed face just as cold-numbed scents filled his nose. A hibernating mouse, a large gum tree. He winced as the icy air stabbed at his lungs, but Dog soon got used to the sensation. His tail thumped, slowly at first, but then faster and faster as he became more aware of the parade of sights and sounds that waited for him in the white bushland beyond.

Cat, meanwhile, had opened the door on the far side of the laundry that led to the warm comfort of the lounge chairs. Her ever-twitching tail waved behind her like a flag, as a sign of contented triumph.

Dog buried his face in the snow and dropped onto the ground with a poof of snow. He rolled around, letting the flakes shake themselves through his winter coat and to his skin.

Cat dived into the fluffy cushions on the soft leather couch. The heater sent warm waves pulsing through the room and cat purred, finally having found a position underneath a mountain of blankets and pillows.

Dog ran, puppy like, through the snow, his paws making deep impressions. He followed an unknown scent into the bush.

Cat, having grown bored of relaxing on the couch, was busily slinking around the lounge room, causing havoc every which way. She scattered cushions, knocked over ornaments, destroyed neatly made beds, all the while leaving a trail of black and white fur. When she had successfully shredded the tassels that hung from the curtains, she proceeded to wash herself, pinning down her twitching tail with her forepaws.

There was a growl, and a yelp from outside, and cat streaked out the door, suddenly worried for dog.

Dog valiantly faced his fearsome opponent, baring his teeth and barking as he gave pursuit. He sensed that cat had caught up with him, but he didn’t dare to glance to the side in case he ran in to something. He saw the thing dart between the trees, its grey fur creating a stark contrasting with its surroundings. Suddenly, cat broke off, clawing her way up a short, rough barked bottlebrush.

She had seen an opponent of her own, but Dog had to continue. The scent suddenly stopped and headed up a tall, old looking gum.

Dog barked and stared up at the possum crouched in the branches. Once again his inability to climb trees hindered his pursuit. Despite having waited under trees for hours on end before, dog never got tired of the feeling of anticipation as he waited for his prey. Finally cat came over to him with a glint in her eyes and a small lizard in her jaws. Dog resigned himself to her muffled meows, asking him to come inside. He glanced back longingly at the tree, just as the possum leapt from branch to branch, taunting him. He barked at it one last time for good measure, and continued to follow cat inside. After passing through the laundry, dog nudged the internal laundry door closed, trapping in the heat. Cat lead the way, settling herself on the shaggy carpet, and Dog followed suit settling down and letting his eyes droop. 

It had been a perfect day. 

• January 12, 2015 - 12:39am (Now Viewing)