Courtney Berman

Plastic, Like a Barbie Doll?

With a movie title like “Mean Girls”, directed by Mark Waters,  it is expected that there will be a bunch of fake, backstabbing girls being rude to each other the entire comedy. But, the title actually contradicts what the movie is about. There really is a deeper meaning to how these girls act. Cady (Lindsay Lohan) moves from Africa and begins the new school year attending North Shore High School. She is learning which groups that she would fit into and she becomes friends with Janis (Lizzy Caplan) and Damian (Daniel Franzese). Janis wants revenge on the Plastics, Regina (Rachel McAdams), Karen (Amanda Seyfried), and Gretchen (Lacey Chabert). They are the most popular girls in school. Janis, Damian, and Cady make a plan to ruin Regina. Of course, the plan involves Cady “faking” that she is friends with the Plastics and actually becoming one of them. This reminds me of the saying “keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer”. Ironically, Cady starts to like being a plastic because of the popularity that comes with it. But, she still sticks with the plan to destroy Regina.
   Basically, Cady starts out as an outsider and she lets the thought of being popular turn her into someone that she is not. Cady is a dynamic character,  starting out as the innocent new girl and she is transformed into a manipulative, two-faced Plastic. In fact, she changes so much that Aaron (Jonathan Bennett), the boy she has a crush on, tells her that she is “just like a clone of Regina”. This makes Cady start to realize the person who she has become.
   There were some excellent aspects of cinematography involved in the movie. During the scene when Cady disappointingly left the Halloween party, more colors became dark and gloomy. Then in the next scene when the plan was being made to get back at the Plastics there was music that was played in the background. The music made it sound like something big was about to happen.  This was the rising action, that would smoothly transition into a shocking climax. Another aspect of cinematography that made the movie more interesting was when Cady would narrate how the same fight would happen in Africa. Her voice over was in perfect harmony with a quick cut to a high school fight settled the “African way”. I thought this particular way of showing Cady’s past and present worlds combining, was really connecting the idea between the characteristics of her old life and her new life. As the movie went on, these fight scenes happened less often. This showed that Cady was moving away from her old life and that she was being transformed into an entirely different person.
   The main message that I took away from the movie was that everyone feels self-conscious about themselves. If people are critiquing others, you cannot trust what they say because they are self-conscious too. After watching the movie, I felt like the plot line was relatable but also hyperbolic. I was intrigued by the movie especially during the scenes when the secrets of the notorious burn book were being revealed in the hallways. But, there were some scenes that I thought were not necessary and did not contribute to the movie. One of the scenes that I could have skipped, was the scene at the math competition. I didn’t think that this particular scene added anything to the plot, it just proved that Cady was excellent at solving math problems. The audience already knew that from earlier in the movie. This movie deserves a five-star rating and I would recommend it to anyone who needs a good laugh.