SRubin

The Other Guys: A Comedic Masterpiece

Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg join forces to create the comedic masterpiece, The Other Guys. In the film, Ferrell plays Detective Allen Gamble, a nerdy officer of the New York Police Department who is quite content with working at his desk as opposed to out in the field. Wahlberg plays Terry Hoitz, Gamble’s partner and polar opposite who wants nothing more than to go out and make heroic arrests. At the start of the film, Gamble and Hoitz are stuck with desk work. However, an opportunity presents itself for them to leave the office and this causes friction between the two personalities. Gamble opts to stay away from the violent, action packed arrests while Hoitz jumps at the opportunity to be a hero. The two compromise by agreeing to leave the office make a relatively mild arrest of Billionaire David Ershon (Steve Coogan) over a scaffolding permit. Unwittingly, the duo stumbles upon much more than they expected. The arrest gets halted when kidnappers take Ershon from the police car. The partners go on a long journey to find out why Ershon was kidnapped to the condemnation of their chief (Michael Keaton). As this dysfunctional duo searches for answers, you hear about their hilarious backstories and lives. Gamble became a pimp in college and “lost control” so he got a stable job working for law and order. Hoitz mistakenly shot New York Yankees star shortstop Derek Jeter (played by himself) in game seven of the world series and was demoted to a detective. The two form a bond over this movie after starting out resenting each other. Eventually, their investigation yields an enormous crime. They must put their lives on the line to save this case.
    This film is a masterpiece. Will Ferrell brings his comedic genius as Mark Wahlberg brings his skills in both comedy and action. And as funny as this film is, the plot is surprisingly serious. There is also a lot of action in this movie, but most of it is found with a funny twist added. The film finds the perfect balance of silly and serious to pull off this gem. In addition, this film has the perfect soundtrack. The only downside to this film is that it is very inappropriate and deserving of it’s PG-13 or R rating, depending on which version you watch. I would recommend this movie to anybody who is of an appropriate age to view it and prepare to laugh.