Chloe Levitas

How The Ugly Duckling Became Posh: A Film Review On The Devil Wears Prada

In fashion, one day you are in, and the next you are out. The 2006 comedy-drama, The Devil Wears Prada, is set in the hustle and bustle of the fashion capital of America, known as New York City. Andy Sachs (played by Anne Hathaway) an upcoming journalist from Northwestern University lands the most coveted job in fashion as Miranda Priestley’s (Meryl Streep) personal assistant--the majorly intimidating ice queen editor in chief of Runway fashion magazine. The director of the film, Daniel Frankel, and the writer, Lauren Weinberger, draw inspiration for Meryl Streep’s character from Anna Wintour, a notorious fashion icon and the chilling editor in chief of U.S. Vogue magazine. Meryl acquires this sharp, powerful attitude that is practically the perfect embodiment of Wintour throughout the film. 
    Andy, an outsider to anything relating to fashion, is very brave to embark upon the roller coaster ride of completing Miranda’s outrageous tasks and eventually reaches maximum embarrassment. Andy dresses in what would be outdated, frumpy, and unflattering clothes for a young woman, much less for a young woman working at Runway. Automatically, Andy does not fit in with any of the high fashion dressed girls at Runway, especially with Miranda’s head assistant Emily Charlton (played by Emily Blunt). Andy befriends Runway’s art director Nigel (played by Stanley Tucci), who helps her out by basically recreating her new “I’m chic and fabulous, let's ditch the grandma outfits” attitude with designer clothes, makeup, and accessories. Conflicts start to arise when Emily gets sick and cannot attend the well-known Paris Fashion Week trip. Miranda then offers an ultimatum to Andy: she is given the opportunity to go on the Paris trip or told don’t bother coming back to Runway. Other conflicts are brought up with her boyfriend Nate (Adrian Grenier) and her new love interest, Christian Thompson (Simon Barker). Watching this film the viewer might ask himself or herself, is Andy still the outsider journalist, but disguised by this new hidden wardrobe? Or has she become a “Runway” girl and everything she goes against?
    Even though Meryl Streep is the antagonist in the film, viewers still want more from her and her witty comebacks. Meryl’s subtly and her presence on screen scares viewers as if they are on the receiving end. In the film, viewers see Anne Hathaway as the protagonist and the story is told from her character’s morphed outsider to insider perspective. Anne is portrayed as kind-hearted, hard working, smart, and determined, making the viewers crave her to succeed. 
    The Devil Wears Prada is witty, sharp, and the dialogue could not be better. I particularly enjoyed this film very much because I thought it was clever how the director transformed Anne Hathaway’s character from an unstylish New Yorker into a fashion mogul. I especially liked how the essence of New York set the film in a fast pace and truly enables you feel as if you are in New York. I also liked the supporting cast and how all of the actors were able to form a dynamic cast. Another factor of the film for me was the costumes; each outfit was impeccably styled and entertaining look at. The only frustration I had with the film was how cruel the judgment was about Andy’s body size and how the fashion world can be obsessive with sizes. I would defiantly recommend this movie to someone who is interested in fashion or drama, or wanting a good laugh. Some might say this film is considered a “Chick Flick”, but I would encourage others to watch it, at least for the acting. The Devil Wears Prada is an uplifting film with a well-written script and talented actors--I highly recommend this film.