Water

izzysmiles09

I like to think of myself as an old leather journal, with thick pages that have dark ink scribbled all over them. There are lines through entire pages, and ink blots where great ideas have flowed. Yet all the same I am someone to cherish, to remember

"But here is the truth of nostalgia: we don't feel it for who we were, but who we weren't. We feel it for all the possibilities that were open for us, but that we didn't take."
-Welcome to Night Vale

Captain America: The Winter Soldier -- Film Review

No longer frozen in ice, and still attractive at 96, the story of Steve Rogers continues in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Directed by Joe and Anthony Russo and released in April of 2014, the film is the 3rd installment in the cinematic series of the Marvel hero, Steve Rogers; better known as Captain America. The story picks up quickly from where the last movie, Captain America: The First Avenger, left off. Leaving little time to explain any important backstory. The film caters to the audience of those already entangled within the franchise. This could make the plot of the movie confusing, and many of the snarky comments made by the characters in reference to previous adventures could be easily missed. However, this does not take away from the marvelous new Marvel movie.
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier takes place in Washington D.C., where Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans,   is adjusting to his new life, and working with S.H.I.E.L.D. After an attack on shield he works with Black Widow, played by Scarlett Johansson, to untangle the web of conspiracy and lies that have begun to plague S.H.I.E.L.D. However, when a new opposing foe is introduced, it changes everything and leads to an exciting new sci-fi/action film.
    The movie is full of great cinematography. The views of the city are great, setting buildings against backdrops of beautiful sky. The architecture of the high-tech modern buildings is chrome and creates the ambiance of a reachable futuristic world.  Not only that, but there were sweeping camera views that panned all over the city, and alternated between ground shots and aerial shots. In addition, when there are dramatic reveals, the camera is often lower, panning up to make the object of reveal seem bigger in perspective. This creates a sense as if you were there in the movie, experiencing the magnitude of the reveal with everyone else.
    A great moment in the film was when Steve Rogers experienced a flashback. The flashback is integrated into the scene in a way that doesn’t disrupt the flow of the scene, yet shows the power of the memory. It adds depth to the film and helps reaffirm the love for Captain America that many marvel viewers feel by reminding us of the first Captain America movie. In this scene, Chris Evans is seen as both the old and new Captain America, filling both roles with different intensities. The modern Cap being taller, stronger, and giving off a strong energy while the older Cap is smaller, more afraid, exhausted, but full of belief and motivation. His energy brings life to both the modern Cap and the audience.
    In addition to the cinematography, the movies special effects were amazing as well. The explosions were well done, and not used excessively. S.H.I.E.L.D operates through high-tech systems and computers. Seeing how they work is always interesting, especially the wall sized, touch screen, voice activated computers. The technology is made by STARK industries, and isn’t really explained. Tony Stark, or Iron Man, is another Marvel hero who works with S.H.I.E.L.D, and although he is not present in the film, much of his technology is. This means that within the Marvel cinematic universe, especially around the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D, much of the technology is the same. However, it is still some of the best in it’s genre.
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier feels like one of the best movies yet, until about halfway through. After a major plot-twist, that leaves watchers feeling a little confused as to why the directors decided to go that route, it seems the characters start making decisions just to move the plot along; even if it goes against everything the character stands for. This makes the characters feel a little more fake, and reminds you that this isn’t as “real” as one might like.
    In the other films, Captain America’s actions follow closely with what his morals have designed him to do. He believes he should fight, therefore he does. His actions may go against orders that would move the plot along in order to maintain the feel of a real superhero. Since the earlier films start at the beginning of the story, his morals are created so that he acts within the plot.  This means the characters traits do not conflict with major plot points, making it flow and be highly believable. Now however, in the third instalment, it is harder to take the character, change his environment, change the situation drastically, and then push him along to excel the plot without making it feel forced.
    An interesting character dynamic is Nick Fury and Captain America. Fury is the executive director at S.H.I.E.L.D. and seems to represent the part of America that uses military technology and operations to gain the upper hand on a world that is going to fall into chaos. Captain America however, seems to represent the older, more traditional ideals. He will always save the lives of people over valuable information.
    Overall Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a must see movie, especially for any Marvel fan. Even if you aren’t jumping up and down excited for each new Marvel movie that seem to be coming out in a constant stream, this movie is a must see. If one were to watch this movie without watching the first two, I suggest that they either have a friend to answer their questions, or do a bit of reading up on the backstory of Marvel’s first Avenger. With the stream of Marvel movies all intertwined with one another, it is hard to simply skip one, however it will not feel as if you will “never get those 2 hours of your life back.” I would suggest this movie to anyone looking for a good action/adventure movie to kinder the flame of both one's love for childhood superheroes, and the american dream.