Water

izzysmiles09

I like to think of myself as an old leather journal, with thick pages that have dark ink scribbled all over them. There are lines through entire pages, and ink blots where great ideas have flowed. Yet all the same I am someone to cherish, to remember

"But here is the truth of nostalgia: we don't feel it for who we were, but who we weren't. We feel it for all the possibilities that were open for us, but that we didn't take."
-Welcome to Night Vale

Captain America: The Winter Soldier -- Film Review

Captain America: The Winter Soldier was directed by Joe and Anthony Russo and released in April of 2014. The film is the 3rd installment in the cinematic series of the Marvel hero, Steve Rogers; better known as Captain America. The story picks up quickly from where the last movie, Captain America: The First Avenger, left off. Leaving little time to explain any important backstory. This could make the plot of the movie confusing, and many of the snarky comments made by the characters in reference to previous adventures could be easily missed. However, this does not take away from the marvelous new Marvel movie.
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier takes place in Washington D.C., where Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans, is adjusting to his new life, and working with S.H.I.E.L.D., A section of the U.S. government that works with "super heroes" and is present in many Marvel movies After an attack on shield he works with Black Widow, played by Scarlett Johansson, to untangle the web of conspiracy and lies that have begun to plague S.H.I.E.L.D. However, when a new opposing foe is introduced, it changes everything and leads to an exciting new sci-fi/action film.
    The movie is full of great cinematography. The views of the city are great, setting buildings against backdrops of beautiful sky. When there are dramatic reveals, the camera is often lower, panning up to make the object of reveal seem bigger in perspective. This creates a sense as if you were there in the movie, experiencing the magnitude of the reveal with everyone else.
    A great moment in the film was when Steve Rogers experienced a flashback. The flashback is integrated into the scene in a way that doesn’t disrupt the flow of the scene, yet shows the power of the memory. It adds depth to the film and helps reaffirm the love for Captain America that many marvel viewers feel.
    In addition to the cinematography, the movies special effects were amazing as well. The explosions were well done, and not used excessively. S.H.I.E.L.D operates through high-tech systems and computers. Seeing how they work is always interesting, especially the wall sized, touch screen, voice activated computers.
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier feels like one of the best movies yet, until about halfway through. After a major plot-twist, that leaves watchers feeling a little confused as to why the directors decided to go that route, it seems the characters start making decisions just to move the plot along; even if it goes against everything the character stands for. This makes the characters feel a little more fake, and reminds you that this isn’t as “real” as one might like.
    Overall Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a must see movie, especially for any Marvel fan. With a stream of Marvel movies all intertwined with one another, it is hard to simply skip one, however it will not feel as if you will “never get those 2 hours of your life back.” I would suggest this movie to anyone looking for a good action/adventure movie.